Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #1

Share |

Sealing Very small spaces before Insulation?

I need to make my garage very "tight" before I insulate it. (around switches, and itty bitty spaces) I would like some suggestions on using the "foam in a can" or caulk, or what?

It's been a while since I insulated, so I need to know what's current, and what is best, for little spaces before the insulation goes in.

Sheila4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Use a Vapor barrier over the insulation, then place the Gypsum board over it. This will create a better Vapor/Air barrier, then the foams. I used around the window in my garage, which is un-insulated, only to keep out the critters, and cold wind. In the house, I used Door/Window foam to seal around the top of the basement windows & the sill plate, clear silicon around window frame & door frames to keep out any cold air.

Since this is a garage, I would not worry much about really sealing, since the garage door will defeat the whole purpose when opened.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #3

OOOPPPSSS!

Sorry,
I should have mentioned, that my husband and I will be living there, off and on, when we start our home building, and may even need to live there full time when finishing up.

So, we are going to need it sealed up much like a home.
It will have drywall, painted, and new flooring. carpet etc.

Lots of critters around, and wooded a couple blocks away, in all directions.

The garage was made pretty tight, but there are always those little spaces, and of course, as you mentioned, the windows, doors and sills. I used the foam years ago when it first came out, but worry about it now. I will look into the vapor barrier, thank you for that. I forgot about using it inside.

We are going to replace the front windows too, so better to get all we need, when go and pick up the windows.

Thank you again for the information.

PS What about electrical outlets?

Last edited by Sheila4467; 11-11-2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: left out information
Sheila4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Foam covers made to go over outlets. Since again, this is a garage, critters will get in under the garage door, and when it is left open. As for outlets & light switches, I would not place anything over them. As mentioned before, you can place Visquen over the ceiling & walls to make more air tight.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote