Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #1

Share |

Sealing Sub Floor

Can anyone let me know wether I should seal around the edges of the plastic sub floor from Delta? Their website says to seal all around but the Dri core site says to leave a 1/4 inch gap around perimeter. Any ideas out there as to why there is such a difference of opinion? Any help is greatly appreciated !!!!

rhedrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #2

Sealing Sub Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhedrhed View Post
Can anyone let me know wether I should seal around the edges of the plastic sub floor from Delta? Their website says to seal all around but the Dri core site says to leave a 1/4 inch gap around perimeter. Any ideas out there as to why there is such a difference of opinion? Any help is greatly appreciated !!!!
It would help if you provided some details on the construction and who the Delta plastic subfloor is.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #3

Sealing Sub Floor

Is this your product? https://www.spycor.com/v/vspfiles/te...stallation.pdf . Not sure who Dry core is but this site says to install tight around all edges.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #4

Sealing Sub Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhedrhed View Post
They're 2 different products. One is a wood product(OSB) with the dimpled plastic base. One is just plastic.
What do we know about wood that differs from plastic?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #5

Sealing Sub Floor

I have put up studded walls around the perimeter of my basement and I am ready to put down sub floor.
It is a new home and there is no apparent water issues. I am going to lay down Delta FL dimpled plastic rolls and then OSB before carpetting. The manufacturer says to seal all edges. But with Dri Core panels, the manufacturer suggests a 1/4" gap all around. Why the diffrence since both are doing the same thing.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #6

Sealing Sub Floor

For better or worse, Delta suggests a hermetic seal at the seams of its plastic material and also around the perimeter.

Meanwhile for Dri Core or Sub Flor, the panels themselves expand and contract a little with temperature so the 1/4 inch border is needed. Also for the Dri core as the panels snap together the plastic undersides do not make a hermetic seal so not sealing around the edges does not make any more difference to keep moisture out.

Your OSB will also expand and contract so you will need to leave some gaps.

My personal suggestion is to have a forced air suction similar to a radion mitigation system to prevent moisture buildup under the floor, moisture could condense when the concrete slab is cooler than the room air. I don't know of anyone who actually did this because the suction pip0e would need to be in the middle of the room to get a reasonable draw from every point underneath

If you try for a hermetic seal, either under the floor or behind the walls, if it is not perfect, then some moisture from the room air may seep behind. Then the moisture will essentially remain there forever unless it can seep through to the outside (concrete is s little porous). Coming back into the room will be much harder compared with seeping back there in the first place.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #7

Sealing Sub Floor

Allan

Thank you for clearing that up.
Makes total sense and I will go with your suggestions. Thanks again !!!