Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #1

Share |

Sealing Granite?

I just moved into a new home with granite counter tops. Do I need to seal the granite?

If so, what should I use and how often should I do it?
mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #2

Sealing Granite?

Check any kitchen/bathroom shop, or home stores. They should have what you need.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #3

Sealing Granite?

Yes. It is easy to do. Better safe than sorry.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #4

Sealing Granite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowers View Post
I just moved into a new home with granite counter tops. Do I need to seal the granite?

If so, what should I use and how often should I do it?
I wouldn't say "don'tdo it," but granite is so hard it is probably not necessary.
My Old House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #5

Sealing Granite?

Some say "seal!," other say "don't seal!"...so who's right?

The fact is only a small minority of stones sold as 'granite' require sealing, the rest don't - and some yet again will give you problems if you seal them. The small minority I am referring to are sold as 'granite' by reputable delaers, you would know it if you had it, are in fact real granite! If on the other hand, you bought 'granite' from someone else, there's a big, big chance you don't have true 'granite' - you have someother stone (e.g. gabbro or basalt) that they sold to you as granite because they didn't know either...these stone don't need sealing.

So what do you do? Test first before you line someone else's pockets with money from another product you bought but don't need. Put a drop of water on the 'granite', wait 5-10 minutes, wipe it off. If you see a shadow of the droplet, seal it. with a quality impregnating sealer from a stone house, not a box store.

Otherwise keep your money and put it to better use...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #6

Sealing Granite?

Test it - if needed, then use Sealer's Choice Gold from Aqua Mix (a water based impregnating sealer). Google their web site for a stone dealer near you that handles the product.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote