Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Share |

Sealing asphalt driveway? Product suggestions?

I did some searching, but most threads just kind of died out. I'm trying to figure out what I should get now so that I can be ready once the weather warms up. I would like to get ideas on the best product to use. Do the big box stores have anything that isn't just glorified paint? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by mikegp; 04-16-2013 at 11:00 AM.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.... What's the condition of the blacktop,..??

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #3

i used the 8year stuff from menards. on 3y/o unsealed asphalt. it worked well. but i cannot vouch for its durability just yet.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... What's the condition of the blacktop,..??
It's almost 4.5 years old. It's in decent shape, but it is starting to gray and dry out. There's one spot that looks like a crack about a foot long, but when you look closely it hasn't actually opened up. I checked HD's site and they have some Latex-ite products that have good reviews. That's the easiest place for me to buy, but there's multiple products I can choose. Don't know if the most expensive is necessarily the best. My driveway is small, so I don't really mind spending $30-$40 per bucket since I'll only need 2-4. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #5

Oh, and don't have any Menard's around here. Wish I did though.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
It's almost 4.5 years old. It's in decent shape, but it is starting to gray and dry out. There's one spot that looks like a crack about a foot long, but when you look closely it hasn't actually opened up. I checked HD's site and they have some Latex-ite products that have good reviews. That's the easiest place for me to buy, but there's multiple products I can choose. Don't know if the most expensive is necessarily the best. My driveway is small, so I don't really mind spending $30-$40 per bucket since I'll only need 2-4. Thanks.
I used the top of the line Latex-ite from HD a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it washed off after 1 winter.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
I used the top of the line Latex-ite from HD a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it washed off after 1 winter.
That's not what I was hoping to hear. How big is your driveway and how much did you use? What shape was it in? Why do you think it washed off? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #8

Driveway is 24x75. I think I used 4 or 5 buckets. The surface is in good shape. I'm not rally sure why it washed off. I've done it before with no issues. I'm thinking of having a pro do it with a hot sealer. It not too much more money and I think the results will be better
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #9

How do you know it washed off? I could see it peeling, but it's usually a little thick once applied for it to just wash away, no?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #10

After one winter the entire driveway looked like it did before the sealer went down. I could see the old pattern from the prior sealer.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

That amazes me highways city streets never get sealed and they have far more traffic on them then a drive way. I think it is just a waste of money to do that stuff plus toxic petroleum products to boot. So if some one can tell me the science behind needing to seal a asphalt driveway would be nice. Because to me it is a waste of time and money.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #12

I don't know the science behind it, but since asphalt is a petroleum product it degrades with time, heat, and sun. The aggregate starts to come apart from the binder. I can see it happening with my own eyes every year when I shovel there's more and more small pebbles coming off of my driveway. First year there were none. If you get something into all the crevices to bind it together I would thing it would last longer. Around here city streets and highways get repaved more than you would think. The ones that can't be repaved often because of bad locations have hundreds of patches and feel like you're driving down an unpaved mountain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikegp For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (04-21-2013), Nailbags (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #13

Thanks, I guess I will stick with concrete driveways then less hassles
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
That amazes me highways city streets never get sealed and they have far more traffic on them then a drive way. I think it is just a waste of money to do that stuff plus toxic petroleum products to boot. So if some one can tell me the science behind needing to seal a asphalt driveway would be nice. Because to me it is a waste of time and money.
Ayuh,.... I am a Blacktopper , 'n have been doin' it for over 20 years,...

I also pretty much sorta Agree with ya,...

Blacktop that's grey, means Nothin', it's just sun bleached, 'n worn it, so's the stones are showin'...

If ya what a Black driveway,... Pick whatever sealer ya want, yer just paintin' the driveway, anyways...

If yer driveway is startin' to fail, 'n yer actually seein' crackin' goin' on,...
Then seal it, but with a sand added mix, hopefully coal-tar based, insteada the latex stuff...
In that case, yer actually doin' some Good....

Usin' any of the sand mix sealers, if the driveway ain't crackin', causes it to get Slippery when wet, due to fillin' in it's coarseness...

The Absolute Best sealin' you can do to a driveway, is dust it with Portland Cement,....
It'll be grey, insteada black, but it''ll be Stronger, 'n resist any petro spills that occur,..
Ya need a fertilizer Drop-spreader, not a broadcast spreader, but the straight down drop spreader, 'n a Super Humid, but not actually rainin' day to do it...

Just pour a bag of Portland into the spreader, 'n Ya spread a nice dustin' of portland over the driveway, 'n let it set-up,...
If it ain't Humid enough, just fan it with a hose to dampen it, but not so much as to pool, or run off...

It's Way stronger, 'n Better than the crap in a bucket, but ya end up with a nice grey driveway...

Last edited by Bondo; 04-19-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (04-19-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #15

Thanks. Is coal tar based more toxic? I remember reading that it's the best, but not good for you to breathe in. So it's great if inure having someone else do it, but not so great to diy with it.

Last edited by mikegp; 04-21-2013 at 07:51 PM.