Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #1

Share |

Sealing Around The Outside Of An A/C

I just replaced a through-the-wall a/c unit. The unit I put in was about 1"-2" shorter in both height and width. I had to use some 1"x4" to build up the hole in the wall and used some spray foam to fill in the inside.
Over the weekend I'll be renting an extension ladder from HD to seal up the outside part of it. Is there any type of sealant or caulking in particular that is good to use? The one I removed was caulked on the outside but it also seemed to have some type of rubber gasket or seal along the top of the sleeve.

jte1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

I actually took the time to create a frame out of Exterior Grade Plywood, primed & painted, then used Caulk to seal the frame where it met the window & at the edge of the AC unit on my house. It actually helped this winter in cutting down air seepage & keeps out the critters. I did have to on mine use Foam sealant at the lower edge to stop any birds from trying to nest.

It is a easy project, but just take the time, and plan accordingly so that you have all of the materials when you do it, and just not cut corners, or you will be back up next year and the year after fixing it.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Greg. Seems like I've closed it up pretty good from the inside. I just want to make sure I don't get any rain or melting snow(during the winter) seeping in from the other side. I was thinking of filling it with foam then going over that with the silicone caulk.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Problem is, no matter how you seal it with Foam & Caulk, over time, there will be leakage. If you can use Flashing over the Wood, that may work even better.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Because of the tendancy for moisture and condensation around the unit and it's housing, you should foam the cavities (which you did).
For the exterior, if the gaps are wider, and need to be filled, use foam backer-rod, and then apply a solid bead of paintable polyurethane caulk/sealant for exterior sealing. If the gap is minimal, just use the caulk to seal it.

If you have installed exterior wood trim around the unit, be sure that you have a drip cap installed on the top of the upper horizontal trim piece, to protect it from the weather elements.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-12-2008 at 08:13 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #6

One side has about a 1" gap while the top has a 2" gap. What does the foam backer rod look like? Is it something I can find in HD?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Looks like a rod piece of foam, and can be found if not in the aisle with Air conditioner covers & such, would be in the Concrete aisle in Home Depot (weird place to find it, but HD has their own ways).