Screen/Storm Door Handle Height - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to Steven Z. Send a message via MSN to Steven Z.

Screen/Storm Door Handle Height

Hello everyone,

I recently built my mom a new screen/storm door in woodworking at school but neglected to put a proper handle on the thing. This weekend we went out and bought a latch handle (large handle on the outside and the little push thumb handle on the inside). However, the outside handle is curved like so:

My mom wants to put the handle at a similar height to the handle on the main front door. I, however, feel that is awkward and should be at near chest level. Where does one mount this type of handle for comfortable use? I believe the normal handle is 36" about the jam, but that feels much too low for this handle.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Steven Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Put it at about the same height as the main door. Just make sure they don't hit one another when both doors are closed.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to Steven Z. Send a message via MSN to Steven Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Put it at about the same height as the main door. Just make sure they don't hit one another when both doors are closed.
Ron
Thanks for the response! I ended up mounting it a couple inches higher than the main door knob. The doors open opposite so the handles hitting wasn't a problem.
Steven Z. is offline   Reply With Quote