Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #1

Share |

Scratches in Fibreglass Bathtub

I hope I am doing this posting correctly and in the proper place. I have 2 questions on the same problem. We just had a new white fibreglass whirlpool tub installed. The plumber did a really nice job and was very careful not to put any marks on the $2000 tub. Today, the floor and wall tiler was in. We put a large quilt in the tub for him to work on. He didn't ask for anything at all. We put it there before he showed up. Despite putting the quilt in the tub, his rock-laden workboots must have gotten off the quilt (I think he was working at the back wall from inside the tub) and put a lot of scratches in the shiny part of the tub bottom. Some of the scratches are deep enough that the edges are kind of lifted, and others are like marks on the surface that won't rub off. My two questions are - how can i get these scratches repaired, or is there a product we can use to repair it ourselves, and - should the tiling contractor pay for (or carry out) the repairs? We are really saddened by this and need some direction and would appreciate any input from others who may have had a similar experience.

SarahAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
General Contractor

If you are hiring all the subs, you need to tell the tile guy he should send someone in there and pay to have it fixed. If you hired a contractor and he hires the subs, tell him and let him deal with the tile guy.

Hammatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammatime View Post
If you are hiring all the subs, you need to tell the tile guy he should send someone in there and pay to have it fixed. If you hired a contractor and he hires the subs, tell him and let him deal with the tile guy.
I agree. He damaged it he should repair it and definately don't pay him till he does.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #4

I guess I must have posted correctly.
Thank you for the responses. We hired the tile people directly. This is a bathroom addition and we hired everyone separately. I guess we should try to get them to fix it, or at least pay for it. How are repairs done to this kind of tub? Can it be made look new again? We wouldn't have scratched it up this much as long as we live!! S
SarahAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Master Craftsman

They can be made to look new again. I'm not sure how they do it but I have seen it first hand. We used to just call a woman and she would show up and fix them. I've never watched her do it.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
registered

generally the tub manufacturer has repair guys spaced around who specialize in fixing those kind of problems. They specialize in fiberglass repair. Don't hesitate to call manufacturer and get there input. Its definately the tile guys fault. I can't believe he wasn't careful in that tub.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
remodeling pro

First, I hope you haven't paid completely for the job. Show the damage to the tile guy and explain that he is responsible for paying for the damages. I would document with close up photos and a certified letter to the installer(just in case). Call the tub supplier and get their service man to do the repairs properly. You should not have to accept some half-ass attempt by the tile man himself on a brand new tub.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote