DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Scratch on bathroom sink/mold on sink

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Snav 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have several small scratches on my bathroom sink and was wondering if there was anyway that I could repair them (see attached picture). Also, the caulking (I think that's the right term, complete newbie to home repairs) is a bit moldy on one area of the same sink (see attached picture). How would I repair that?

Cheers,

S

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There are some porcelain repair kits you can get (Porc-a-fix and Nick Fix are two I can think of) - they're an enamel epoxy that you apply/cure to fill cracks and repair chips.

Do a google search, make a list of some available products and read reviews and facts and learn about them before you choose one - some are more acceptable for certain applications than others, some require longer curing times, etc etc.

But you can fix it - absolutely.

#3 ·
As far as the mold you can use a good cleaner and a toothbrush to clean it up. But if there is mold usually it is because there is some moisture getting under it. You might think about taking it out (the Caulk) and redoing it. If the caulk is black and crusty or torn I would definitely replace it.

#5 ·
Not to sound gross - but a sweaty toilet gives plenty of moisture to encourage mold growth (you know, when your toilet has water-condensation on the outside).

Along with steam from hot showers - and there you go, mold growth anywhere. . . more so in areas where water sits rather than it draining or drying quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.