Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

School me on Whole House Fans

I heard about this product on one of those DIY TV shows briefly and it sounds very interesting. I searched on here but came up empty.

Does anyone here know where I should look for more info?

TIA.

newbieowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 22

Home improvement or building supply store would be my first two guesses.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieowner View Post
I heard about this product on one of those DIY TV shows briefly and it sounds very interesting. I searched on here but came up empty.

Does anyone here know where I should look for more info?

TIA.
Do a search of this site. Whole house fans have been discussed a number of times.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 506

I'm sufficiently aware of whole house fans to know that there is probably a lot I don't know. My parent's house had one, and we used it to try to cool the house more by drawing air to the second floor where the AC didn't go as well. I don't think that's how it is intended to work though.

Try here, the buildingscience.com site seems to have very good reports based on scientific study:
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...s-options/view

This link would probably be useful if you want to get into examining the performance capability of different system configurations - perhaps it might be more depth than you're looking for, but your question was pretty open ended.

The first question is: what are you hoping to accomplish with a whole house fan?

One very important thing to recognize is that done wrong it can cause problems. For example, if you set up an exhaust only system to draw air out you could create negative pressure. If you have an older drafty house this might tend to be less of an issue, but a newer house of tighter construction will mean that when replacement air tries to come in, it comes in through places you don't want it to come in - such as gas appliance vents (where it will draw carbon monoxide into the house) or bathroom or kitchen vents that are intended to remove unwanted moisutre and fumes.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.

Last edited by WillK; 07-21-2011 at 08:36 AM.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

We love ours. Turns any window or door you open into an instant fan when you run it. It basically just sucks air out through the attic door which flips open as soon as you turn it on.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

I had two previous home with "whole house fans", and not older homes either. One advantage is that they, the one's I had, will draw in tremendous amounts of air via any open window, or a storm door with screen. One disadvantage I didn't like was that they also draw in a tremendous amount of dust from outside. And I can assure you that about 1:00 A.M. if the fan is still on you will be hunting a blanket in July/August, even here in SW GA.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote