Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

Which saw blades are worth sharpening?

I was surprised to see a contractor throwing away a chop saw blade. It looked to be a 60 tooth carbide. Are blades so cheap now that they aren't worth sharpening? I don't even bother with steel blades anymore, but I will keep and sharpen my 92 tooth laminate blades. I guess it also depends if you have a good sharpening shop near you.

ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Actually Sir/Ma'm, you answered you're own question. I have a business in which I go through quite a few circular saw, and miter saw blades annually. Yes, they are so cheap they are not worth sharpening anymore. Not even the carbide tipped ones. I only keep/sharpen specialty blades such as: For Hardie Boards, tile backer board, etc. I do have access to a good saw sharpening service. He's a retired machinist, a little crazy-which makes him pretty good, and he does like to please his customers. Odd in today's world, but he's there. I can buy a pack of three (3) carbide tipped blades for cutting framing lumber today for the price of one blade, say ten years ago, much the same for miter saw blades. I save and give my old blades to Tim in trade for the sharpening services on handsaw(s) and chisels. Just my 2¢ worth, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
DIY staff

I finally found a good sharpener--I do get my 10" tablesaw blades sharpened--and the planer blades.

Skillsaw--no.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote