Sagging Floor - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sagging floor

I have an older home where at one time they made a cut out in the floor to install basement steps. When they made the cut out, they removed about 6 ft of one joist. I have 1 1/2" tongue and groove pine sub floor. Unfortunately when they made the cut out to the basement, a wall was left unsupported and has sunk over time. The wall is supported by the tongue and groove which overlaps another joist by about six inches. The unsupported wall runs the same way as the joist.
In order to correct this problem I have constructed a beam 82" long, using 2 pieces of 2x12 glued and screwed together with 11"x12" pieces of 1/2" plywood in between. I have put jack posts at either end of the beam and I am jacking my floor up a bit each day. It seems to be working. My question is, am I going about this the correct way? Should I use 3 2x12's? The beam I installed is butting up against an existing joist, once I get my desired results levelling the floor, can I bolt the beam to the existing full 2 inch by 10 inch joist?

Advertisement

bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

sagging floor

pics would help us, but it sounds like a plan to me. Jacking too fast will likely cause drywall/plaster cracks, but you may get those anyhow. That opening definitely needs support all around, and from your description, it is finally getting it.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #3

sagging floor

Thanks for your reply Bill. I have attached a few pictures. Another concern I have is I think I should have made footings as the one post is sinking. Is there such a thing as plastic footings that I can put underneath the post to distribute the weight?
Attached Thumbnails
sagging floor-imgsagging-floor_0025.jpg   sagging floor-imgsagging-floor_0026.jpg   sagging floor-imgsagging-floor_0027.jpg   sagging floor-imgsagging-floor_0028.jpg  
Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,052

sagging floor

If the concrete is as old as the floor system looks, you need new footings. If the concrete was thicker or the load was less, you could build a frame wall under the length and not use the posts. But it sounds like a good load, you need some footings. What is bearing on the wall? Center support floor joists or just attic ceiling joists? I ask to figure the size footing needed. How long are the joists, 1/2 bearing on said wall. Or, do they run the same as the ones below? Be safe, G

Last edited by Gary in WA; 08-13-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #5

sagging floor

Thanks for your reply GBAR. The wall I am supporting runs into an attic, it is not supporting a floor. I think I figured out why the jack post was sinking. I had the support I made butted up against the existing joist, as I was jacking the post it was taking the floor joist with it. I put 3/8" spacers in between the floor joist and the support, and I put a railway track steel plate underneath the jack post, this seems to have corrected the problem, as well it jacks quite easily without jacking the existing joist. The current joists are about 12'6" long and run to a centre 7"x7" beam. I am planning on redoing the basement floor to level it eventually, I was thinking about adding about an inch of concrete. At that time I could pour footings and I like the building a wall idea. From what you see of the pictures, and my explanation, am I going about this the correct way? I know I definitely need support for that opening.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,052

sagging floor

Yes, it looks good. Be sure to nail though the old joist into the new to keep the new from tipping out (lateral displacement). Not much of a chance with a non bearing one, though. Glad we could help!. Be safe, G

Advertisement

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote