Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #1

Share |

Sagging bay window wall

Seeting the Scene:
We're looking to purchase a home where the living room has a wall the shape of a bay window (and has wondows in all three sections). This bayed out section of the room does NOT sit on the the foundation and over-hangs it. The bedroom located directly above it has the same formation. In both rooms there is a radiator located at the center of the bay. This is approximately an 85 year old house. The windows in the living room are original. The windows in the second floor bedroom are replaced and I'm not sure if the second floor were fitted into crooked jams. That bayed out section of both rooms is visibly sagging (the trim around the windows on either side of the living room picture window are sagging toward it by AT LEAST an inch.)

Question:
Is it possible to fix two stories of stacked bayed out rooms? I was thinking of using a similar solution to a regular bay window in which I use a hydraulic jack to bring it all up to 1/2" above level, a cement footing which goes below the frost line which hold three or four 4" x 4" pressure treated pieces of lumber and then lower it all onto them. I would have to remove the floor of a front porch to get under it as well. Any advice on if and how this can be done on my own would be greatly appreciated!

OneRestlessDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Sagging bay window wall

It is possible to fix just about anything, except perhaps a broken heart, but I am told that duct tape and sufficient funds suffices even for that. If you are looking for opinions as to whether your plan will work for the specific house in question, you need to post some pictures. You also need to talk to the local code enforcement official, as many "plans" that seem good will not be approved by the enforcement official, so they are essentially non-starters.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #3

Sagging bay window wall

A cantilevered floor system like that was supposed to be built into the main house floor joist design.
If someone just scabbed it onto the side of the house, there was under sized floor joist it's going to sag.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0
Old 02-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #4

Sagging bay window wall

Daniel and Joecaption, thanks for the quick replies. I've attached whatever pictures I have. I can't take anymore detailed ones since I don't own this home yet. I hope these give slightly more insight than my explanation.
Attached Thumbnails
Sagging bay window wall-first_floor.jpg   Sagging bay window wall-second_floor.jpg  
Attached Images

OneRestlessDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Sagging bay window wall

Ayuh,..... Like Danial says,... Anything can be fixed, 'n yer plan is a good basis to start from,...

Where ya are, 'n the rules there will determine how ya go 'bout it,...

I donno of anywhere, yet, that says ya can't do Yer Own work, so long as yer Handy enough,...
'n got the proper insurance of course,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sagging bay window., sagging wall