Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #1

Share |

Safety issue; ear muffs

I just had a weird, sort of eerie experience w/ new ear muffs. It was kind of spooky, actually. I usually wear only the soft stuff-'em-in ear plugs when working w/ power tools, but I was just at a friend's and we went shooting. I used his Peltor ear muffs, and was amazed at how sound deadening they are. I bought a pair for the range. A few days later I put them on and picked up his power saw to cut some 2x4's. At first I thought his motor was toast and the blade was barely going to cut a 2x4, if at all; that made me a little nonchalant about where the saw blade was. I just lost my respect for the darn thing. But when the blade hit the 2x4, Holy Chitina! The saw was screaming and ripped the 2x4 effortlessly. Even then, though, I was not quite convinced I was running a real power saw and it took my full concentration to pay heed to the machine. I think I'll not wear these puppies henceforth, as it seems I need some noise to keep me on my toes. Weird.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #2

Safety issue; ear muffs

Peltor's are good. I used them when I worked around airplanes. Now I have them around the house to when I need protection.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #3

Safety issue; ear muffs

Earmuffs are designed to cover your ears for protection.You can shop them on eBay. Also search on web, you will find many brands available.
leenamark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #4

Safety issue; ear muffs

The muffs were doing what they're designed to do. Those soft foam plugs are almost worthless. I suspect you just weren't used to real hearing protection.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #5

Safety issue; ear muffs

The plugs also cause ear wax issues. Back when I started out ear plugs where way more effective than head sets and didn't make me sweat. So I have been a plug guy since then. I need to have another look at ear muffs.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote