Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

safety handle bar on tile, how?

My first post here, just a weekend handyman, minimally, some woodwork experience.

I need to attach a handle on the tile above the bathtub so my elderly mom will have something to hold onto while taking a shower. I never drilled anything into tile and I am sure will be drilling thru ?cement board behind the tile.

Is there a video guide?, should I just get a pro to do this or something a weekend guy can do? Is there a youtube video? (will check)

thanks for helping.

gychang

gychang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Those grab bars can be tricky. You cannot just install them with anchors into the tile and wall depending on the wallboard and tile to support the weight of the user. The bars I have installed are (for some reason) never of a dimension that meets the probable (on center) stud spacing of the wall studs. That is why you see so many of those grab bars installed at an angle. But, you first need to positively locate the wall studs so the bars can be anchored to them.

In all of my showers and tubs these days I install 2X6 blocking between the studs and leave the customer with a photo and measurement of where the blocking is located in case they want to install suitable grab bars in the future.

I would suggest you hire a pro that can accurately determine/locate the stud locations for you, it isn't always easy to do. Drilling the necessary holes are the least of your worries for such a seemingly simple task. Some of the more sophisticated stud finders will locate a stud through a tile wall.

Thurman (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
My first post here, just a weekend handyman, minimally, some woodwork experience.

I need to attach a handle on the tile above the bathtub so my elderly mom will have something to hold onto while taking a shower. I never drilled anything into tile and I am sure will be drilling thru ?cement board behind the tile.

Is there a video guide?, should I just get a pro to do this or something a weekend guy can do? Is there a youtube video? (will check)

thanks for helping.

gychang
How old is the bathroom? If this is an older house(pre 1960ish)you probably have a mud job unless the bath has been redone.
If it's a mud job, the studs will be as much as 1 1/2" behind the tile face.
The screws holding the grab bar should be screwed into the studs.
This will mean, the screws that came with the bar are too short and the grab bar will need to be installed vertically or on an incline. For some reason grab bar manufacturers don't make them in 16" increments so you can install them horizontally.
Granted in new construction you'll install mounting blocks along the wall so it doesn't matter, but the retro fits are a pain.
So check what sort of tile job you have and let us know.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
How old is the bathroom? For some reason grab bar manufacturers don't make them in 16" increments so you can install them horizontally.
Granted in new construction you'll install mounting blocks along the wall so it doesn't matter, but the retro fits are a pain.
So check what sort of tile job you have and let us know.
Ron
thanks Ron, the home is 11 years old, I am new at working on bathroom stuff, usually play around on weekends with circular saw....

gychang
Old 02-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
thanks Ron, the home is 11 years old, I am new at working on bathroom stuff, usually play around on weekends with circular saw....

gychang
Then this should be an easier project. The issue you'll see right away is that the spread of the screw holes in the bar is a little more then the width of a stud(1 1/2") So unless you angle the screw inwardly, they all won't hit the stud securely. If the bar has caps that will go over the screws, you won't see it. Otherwise it looks a little... unpleasing.
If you have access to the other side of the wall, you can cut out 2 drywall pieces and install blocking between the studs and you're good to go. You just silicone caulk the holes and screw into the blocking.
Then put the drywall back and compound the perimeter.
If you decide this is more then you're comfortable with and call someone in, don't let them tell you a wall anchor will suffice to hold the grab bar.
It's into the stud or it's incorrectly installed.
Ron
Old 02-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Then this should be an easier project. The issue you'll see right away is that the spread of the screw holes in the bar is a little more then the width of a stud(1 1/2") So unless you angle the screw inwardly, they all won't hit the stud securely. If the bar has caps that will go over the screws, you won't see it. Otherwise it looks a little... unpleasing.
If you have access to the other side of the wall, you can cut out 2 drywall pieces and install blocking between the studs and you're good to go. You just silicone caulk the holes and screw into the blocking.
Then put the drywall back and compound the perimeter.
If you decide this is more then you're comfortable with and call someone in, don't let them tell you a wall anchor will suffice to hold the grab bar.
It's into the stud or it's incorrectly installed.
Ron
thanks so much Ron, looks like I will have to call in a professional.

gychang
Old 02-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
thanks so much Ron, looks like I will have to call in a professional.

gychang
Better to spend the money then for Mom to slip and break a hip.
Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Thurman (02-13-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Better to spend the money then for Mom to slip and break a hip.
Ron
definitely,

gychang