Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #1

Share |

Safely securing a load in an exposed trailer

Hi, I am forced to remove the wooden back panel of my trailer because its design completely blocks ramp access, and I need to use my ramp to load appliances. But without a back I have no safety net--whatever I use to secure the appliances in the back MUST keep everything secure or else cause a major accident on the freeway at some point.

What would you guys use? I am thinking of using some strong bungee straps, but I'm not confident that will be enough

Delta223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Mod

Forget the bungees, use ratchet straps to secure the load.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Delta223 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #3

What Ron said. Bungee cords are for holding the edges of tarps.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveb1 For This Useful Post:
Delta223 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #4

Got a picture of this trailer?
If there are none just adding some flush mount D rings in the floor (preferred way) or to the sides and a wide ratchet strap (wide so it will not dent the appliance) and it's not going anyplace.
Adding sides to the trailer will give you even more options and you can carry far more at one time without damage.
Delta223 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Got a picture of this trailer?
If there are none just adding some flush mount D rings in the floor (preferred way) or to the sides and a wide ratchet strap (wide so it will not dent the appliance) and it's not going anyplace.
Adding sides to the trailer will give you even more options and you can carry far more at one time without damage.
It does have sides; here is a pic of a very similar looking one: http://twentywheels.com/imgs/a/a/u/o...deck_1_lgw.jpg

The problem with my one is it was a DIY build and so I can't say for sure how well the sides will hold up
Delta223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

The sides of the trailer in the picture are removable. Are yours? If you don't trust them to stay on then take them off now, you don't need them to haul appliances. Losing your sides in transit is just as dangerous as losing your load. And as my traffic board friend told many people, your load doesn't have to fall off before I ticket you for an insecure load. (Parts of your trailer could be considered part of your load.)
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveb1 For This Useful Post:
Delta223 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #7

Unless the appliances that you are going to haul will fill the trailer, or you have smaller but similar weight items that will go in front of them, the back is somewhat irrelevant anyway, because, in my opinion, you don't want all of the weight behind the axles. Otherwise, the rear of your tow vehicle could get a bit light for optimal stability. I'd go with Joe's advice, and buy some D rings and ratchet straps. Or, depending on the spacing of the side boards and angle of the straps, you may be able to hook to the frame, with the straps passing between the slats of the side boards. Definitely ratchet straps regardless; not bungee straps.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Delta223 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #8

Another big no on bungees. Ratchet straps as mentioned. Load your trailer with some tongue weight.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave88LX For This Useful Post:
Delta223 (11-06-2013)
Old 01-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

Just meandering through today. This is a little old, but I'd like to add a little different view and maybe some advice on ratchet straps.

If you use ratchet straps, make sure the load cannot shift within the confines of the strap itself and allow any looseness in the strap. Imo, this lets the straps loosen.

For instance, a sofa with a large cushioned back or front with a strap going across it can move as the cushion gives. Each time this happens, the strap can loosen a little. If it does this enough, it can and will turn loose.

I actually prefer the pull down type. You may not get them as tight, but I feel they are less likely to turn loose if the load shifts within the strap.

I haul quite afew appliances on a trailer and I do use ratchet straps sometimes...with a rope backup.

I run my rope through a loop at one side of the load, run the rope around, over, etc the load, and a few feet from the other side, I make another loop. I run the other end of my rope around or through some tie off point on the trailer and back through through this loop and pull hard. This allows you to put a lot of torque on the rope. When I have it as tight as I feel I need it, I hold it at the loop and tie my knot/knots at this loop. I then tie the excess rope to a safe location on the rope itself or on the trailer.

The rope stays tied no matter what the load does within the confines of the rope.

One other note to the inexperienced, always make sure you have several rounds of the strap ratcheted if using ratchet straps and if going a long ways, stop and check frequently.

Jmo

Last edited by boman47k; 01-22-2014 at 02:42 PM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

Take some angle iron and bolt it to the inside-sides of the trailer right near where the back gate goes. Make an L-shape and a backwards L shape, so that the 2 pieces on each side make a slot to drop a board down into. Cut a sheet of plywood to the height of your trailor sides and drop it down into those slots. Take it out when you need to load, put it in when you need to haul.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #11

Be very careful crossing rail road tracks and bumps in the highway. Might want to drill at least one hole in the angle and the board to run a pin through to lock that baby in.

I was given a 2x for my trailer. I never use it. Reason being I lost the last one I had....somewhere.

I did use it for a pretty good while though. I had a hole cut in it near the center for a hand grip.

But, it eventually bounced out somewhere on the streets. I did not have it pinned in in anyway.

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (01-23-2014)