Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Journeyman Wireman

Share |

Rust removal from cast iron tub

My daughter had a metal teapot in the bath with her. It left a rust ring on my cast iron tub. How can I remove it without damaging the finish?

Tub is 12 years old. Rust has been there for a while. Have not tried any abrasives to remove it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust removal from cast iron tub-cimg0024.jpg  

Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #2

Try wetting the surface, applying Zud and rubbing with a nylon scrub pad.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #3

CLR, Calcium/Lime/Rust remover, any home, hardware store. Do not scrub that surface with anything abrasive, you will dull the finish.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupe Blue View Post
My daughter had a metal teapot in the bath with her. It left a rust ring on my cast iron tub. How can I remove it without damaging the finish?

Tub is 12 years old. Rust has been there for a while. Have not tried any abrasives to remove it.
Navel jelley will do it. Or go to a boat place and ask them for a stain remover. I can't remember the name it is blue in color that will work also.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #5

You can also use a clean soft rag which was dipped into turpentine and slightly rinsed out. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection when doing this and make sure the area is well ventilated.Then sprinkle ordinary salt onto the the rag that is wet with turpentine like the corner then scrub the brown rust stain until the stain has disappeared. Reapply turpentine and salt if necessary. When the stain is gone, rinse the cast iron bathtub with plain water and dry tub with a dry rag and you’re done.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote