Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Rust on aluminium window exterior

This is going to sound impossible, but I need to know if anyone out there has had a similar experience. We installed extruded aluminum windows in new construction in October of 2004. We now have rust at the exterior mitered corners of all of the North facing windows to some degree. We live in a snowy climate, but we were assured that the windows that we purchased were manufactured to such a standard that the elements would not be a problem. Besides, they are supposedly aluminum!!! We have contacted the company, which is nationally known and reputable, and they are coming out to investigate. They maintain that they have never had a claim such as this, so does anyone have any possible explanation.

terry

imported_terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:36 AM   #2

Terry

I can say aluminum will not rust. It can corrode but is more of a white powder. If they are already set to come out and investigated. Lets see what they say. explanations can vary from the windows not being what you thought your purchased to a some kind of sealer or something oozing threw and not the windows themselves at all. Let us know what they "say", they find and the forum can see if it seems probable.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:30 AM   #3

Thank you for your response. After reading your comments, upon closer inspection, there does appear to be a white substance along with the rust appearing substance, so your hypothesis could be right on. Could you tell me please, if the substance was some type of sealer leaking through, could this be the reason that we have a good deal of condensation damage on the inside of those particular windows? We purchased a thermohygrometer, and the humidity is not excessive in this area. It is a dining area at the end of a galley kitchen with an 18 foot ceiling, so it is not exposed to excessive humidity, say from showers or other water vapor sources and is not an enclosed area at all. This area has the most visible symptoms on the exterior. Again, thanks for your assistance.

Terry
Old 04-06-2005, 12:39 PM   #4

terry,
Without seeing the stuff is's hard to say. As I said corroded aluminum is more of a powdered type substance .I am really curious what the manufacture finds when they investigate. I know you said you live in a cooler climate with snow but by any chance are you somewhat close to the ocean. The salt in the air can make many things corrode sooner and some corrode thay never would of.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #5

Good Day,
Update! The company representative came out this morning and took several pictures of the windows, both the inside damage and the outer damage. The conclusion, yet unexplained, is that if it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck...... then its probably rust! He offered no explanation as to where it is coming from. I don't know if they reinforce their aluminum frame somehow on the interior with some other type of metal or what. Again, no explanation was forthcoming. All I know is that after the tour of the upstairs, when I offered to show him the downstairs, he replied "No, I'm depressed enough." To which I replied, "Try being the guy who paid for them!" For the time being, I guess I am going to have to be satisfied with the fact that I am not crazy and wait to see what they offer as a solution.

Terry
Old 04-07-2005, 07:25 PM   #6

Terry

Let us know what they plan on doing. After all you have installed windows now. Do they have a warranty? Does it cover replacement. In my opinion If the windows are under any type of warranty. still I would push a bit to get the windows replace and installed even if they don't initially offer it. I wouldn't think that the materials supporting inside of the frame should not be exposed to the elements but sealed from them so not to have rusted. Well, Good luck I hope it all works out for the best for you.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:47 PM   #7

Thumbs up

A final rusty aluminum note. Manufacturers rep visited again today. Evidently, there are steel supports at certain points within the window frame construction. Not sure yet what part of the system broke down to allow moisture inside, but this is supposedly what happened. Because the windows were batch constructed for our home, it is also supposed that eventually we will have problems with all of the oak cased windows, and therefore, they are going to replace them all. 22 I believe. It will be an inconvenience, but with any luck, only that. All is well that ends!