Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

Routine Maintenance

I was just replacing my a/c filter and was thinking about some of the more subtle and overlooked items in routine home maintenance.

Items I have on my list are:
A/C filter change
A/C coil cleaning / inspect
Refrigerator coil cleaning
Septic pumping/inspection
Chimney cleaning
Gutter cleaning
Drier vent cleaning
Smoke detector batts
Alarm testing
Automatic garage door obstruction reverse

Too anal retentive?? Feel bad for my wife? ...me too.

I'm curious what things I'm missing. Any thoughts besides getting medication for my illness?
Scottphys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #2

Routine Maintenance

The only one I see that is perhaps not necessary (according to Martin Holladay on Greenbuildingadvisor.com) is the frequent fridge coil cleaning. I used to do the same thing, but it is apparently of little use to do it annually. The others should be on the list. It never hurts to check things over whilst cleaning, even if cleaning isn't real productive.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Routine Maintenance

I had an OCD neighbor who kept EVERYTHING on a schedule.
Loose leaf binders and index cards... the whole nine yards.

The principle is good...
knowing two years in advance which Saturday in August will be grub treatment is too much.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

Routine Maintenance

I have a friend who weighs himself daily; has records back 9 yrs. (I hope we haven't started something here, Tar.)
Old 01-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #5

Routine Maintenance

August Grub treatment! Excellent addition!

Nine years of weight records is a bit much. Mine only goes back 5, same as my daily temperature check of the coffee maker.

Just kidding guys. I know I have an illness and I'm told admitting it is a good first step.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Disabled wood vet

Routine Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel
I have a friend who weighs himself daily; has records back 9 yrs. (I hope we haven't started something here, Tar.)
I know a guy (we call him "Daddy Warbucks" because he's a millionaire), healthy and young, that (I'm told) picks through every poop he makes because he is so paranoid about catching some disease and not catching it early enough.
I don't know what you'de call that besides gross paranoia.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

Routine Maintenance

I think the moderator is soon going to move this, or ask that we start a new thread in the Off Topic section. So, see "Weird behaviors" over there. It is interesting to see how the human brain can divert from "normal", regardless of your wealth, etc. Ask Howard Hughes. Great mind, wealthy, etc, but OCD nailed him anyway.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Routine Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
I know a guy (we call him "Daddy Warbucks" because he's a millionaire), healthy and young, that (I'm told) picks through every poop he makes because he is so paranoid about catching some disease and not catching it early enough.
I don't know what you'de call that besides gross paranoia.
This can be important sometimes.....

The efficacy of the lymphocyte blastogenesis and complement-fixation tests and fecal culture for detection of Mycobacterium paratuberculosis infection was assessed in bighorn sheep (Ovis canadensis), elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni), mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus), white-tailed deer (O virginianus), bighorn X mouflon (O musimon) hybrid sheep, and domestic sheep. Spontaneously infected bighorns were tested at the time of capture; experimentally infected animals were tested monthly for 12 months or periodically for 36 months. Lymphocyte blastogenesis tests were conducted with peripheral blood mononuclear cells and protein antigens of M avium, M bovis, and M paratuberculosis. Best diagnostic results were obtained when M avium purified-protein derivative was used as antigen and 20% bovine fetal serum was incorporated in the culture medium; a positive test was defined as a stimulation index greater than or equal to 3.5. Test sensitivity and specificity, respectively, were 82% and 94% in hybrid sheep and were 72% and 100% in domestic sheep. Sensitivity and specificity, respectively, were 39% and 94% in elk and 53% and 92% in deer. When infection was determined in spontaneously infected bighorns by culture of M paratuberculosis and/or the presence of acid-fast bacilli in characteristic microscopic lesions, sensitivity was 75% and specificity was 87%. Fecal cultures and the complement-fixation tests seldom correctly identified infected animals.

..... but I really haven't given it my full concentration yet... it's just sort of a hobby.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Disabled wood vet

Routine Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T
This can be important sometimes.....

The efficacy of the lymphocyte blastogenesis and complement-fixation tests and fecal culture for detection of Mycobacterium paratuberculosis infection was assessed in bighorn sheep (Ovis canadensis), elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni), mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus), white-tailed deer (O virginianus), bighorn X mouflon (O musimon) hybrid sheep, and domestic sheep. Spontaneously infected bighorns were tested at the time of capture; experimentally infected animals were tested monthly for 12 months or periodically for 36 months. Lymphocyte blastogenesis tests were conducted with peripheral blood mononuclear cells and protein antigens of M avium, M bovis, and M paratuberculosis. Best diagnostic results were obtained when M avium purified-protein derivative was used as antigen and 20% bovine fetal serum was incorporated in the culture medium; a positive test was defined as a stimulation index greater than or equal to 3.5. Test sensitivity and specificity, respectively, were 82% and 94% in hybrid sheep and were 72% and 100% in domestic sheep. Sensitivity and specificity, respectively, were 39% and 94% in elk and 53% and 92% in deer. When infection was determined in spontaneously infected bighorns by culture of M paratuberculosis and/or the presence of acid-fast bacilli in characteristic microscopic lesions, sensitivity was 75% and specificity was 87%. Fecal cultures and the complement-fixation tests seldom correctly identified infected animals.

..... but I really haven't given it my full concentration yet... it's just sort of a hobby.
And that's exactly what I'll tell him next time I see him. Thanx for the useful info, Dr. T!

Last edited by titanoman; 01-21-2012 at 05:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
Willie T (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #10

Routine Maintenance

Hey Willie,
Always a good idea to steer clear of mad cow disease.

Scottie; Wifey secretly appreciates all you do, she's just teasing. No woman wants a lazy slob hanging around.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
Willie T (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #11

Routine Maintenance

not a bad idea to put it on the calander. say in June change fire alram batteries, then in sept. Clean furnace filter, things like that.
Some calenders come with hote places on the side, works good for that. or some of use use computereized organizers or websites like google calendar.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Disabled wood vet

Routine Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling
not a bad idea to put it on the calander. say in June change fire alram batteries, then in sept. Clean furnace filter, things like that.
Some calenders come with hote places on the side, works good for that. or some of use use computereized organizers or websites like google calendar.
Like me. I have my whole life scheduled on my phone.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #13

Routine Maintenance

My like schedule is on my phone too. Just an old cell phone not a I-phone or android but as I have no live it works for me!
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Disabled wood vet

Routine Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling
My like schedule is on my phone too. Just an old cell phone not a I-phone or android but as I have no live it works for me!
That's all that matters!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #15

Routine Maintenance

You know, I gotta say, this is the best group of guys ever. We went:
Anal retentive > OCD > picking thru fecal matter > fecal culture analysis > scheduling software in less than 12 hours.
Guys I am standing in the presence of greatness.