Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #1

Share |

Round metal lamp post

I have a 3" round metal lamp post and need to attach a new 6" sq.vinyl post over the metal one. What would be the best method to 'increase' the size of the 3" one?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Last edited by DJM1955; 08-18-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Forgot a comment
DJM1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #2

Round metal lamp post

Why 6"?
A 4" post cover would be whole lot closer.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Bombastic Idiot

Round metal lamp post

Does it need to be centered over old post?
Blocks of 2X cut to fit easily inside new post with slightly more than 3" hole in center, slide um over and space along post, keep faces even to each other, with a couple of straight edges, screw to post. Slide new post over that. May be easier to push the blocks into new post and screw thru vinyl then slide that over post. If you can put old post on bench, screw on a block slide it in, screw on another block,repeat ad infinitum, or til you're out of blocks. Drop all blocks over post, Drop new post over one block, lift it put equal length sticks on each side old post inside new between 1st block and next, lower post, repeat.
Two longer blocks length of post, as wide as inside, V shaped groove length wise in one side each one depth of groove and thickness of block so its same as inside of post when screwed together.
Build a square post around round post out of four boards that fits inside new post.
Doesn't have to be centered? Screw a 2X4 to old post, nice and plumb vertica, slde new post down, couple of screw top and bottom thru new post into 2X4. 2X4 could be shorter to keep end off ground a foot or so.Mebbee paint any wood B4 sliding on new post, especially ends of 2X4 or long V post.Or use pressure treated
Or just push new post against old post and shoot some screws thru new post into old post.
So far this is about the newest post I've seen here on diychat.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 08-25-2012 at 11:31 PM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to notmrjohn For This Useful Post:
DJM1955 (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #4

Round metal lamp post

Thanks for your suggestion.
DJM1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #5

Round metal lamp post

bag of Quick Set concrete mix poured between the old and new posts..pull the new one up a little so it oozzes out below ground level let it start to set then twist the 6" post down pour some around the 6" base again below ground level.don't need to fill the total pole space just 2-3' off the base... even easier those cans of spray insulation foam drill holes starting at the bottom every 12" goin up it will lock up that inside pole and is lighter then the concrete trick
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Bombastic Idiot

Round metal lamp post

DOH! Late last night I realized you only need blocking at top and bottom. I reckon I was thinking the thing needed to be rigid. Mebbee a block at center to stop any wobble. Then while waiting for this steam powered puter to get started, I thought of both of biggles' ideas. Great minds think alike. Only stuff something down the top and pour a bit of quick set in there too. Then the foam idea occured. But use minimally expanding , or possibly next step up. I was wondering how to get it in the bottom when I saw bigg's whole hole idea. Again, ya mite need some wadding in there to keep the foam from just running down before it grabs hold. Just like loading a cannon, ram some insulation or even rags down to below each hole and squirt away. The holes would also be an escape route for the foam if it starts to expand too much. The stuff you spray up between joists and such could be strong enough to bust the vinyl. I'v seen it split pvc pipe when sprayed inside.
My vote is for biggles' holey foam idea.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #7

Round metal lamp post

You mention this is a lamp post. There may well be an access cover where the connection to the light is made to the wiring somewhere along the 3" post. It would be in your best interest not to entomb this.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #8

Round metal lamp post

just some quick squirts of that foam top to bottom will lock it up drll a series of whole at say 12 and 6 oclock positions down the pole and not opposite each other and that metal poll will have no place to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
DJM1955 (09-19-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Bombastic Idiot

Round metal lamp post

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
12 and 6 oclock
biggles, old bean, do you really think it will take a whole 6 hours to drill the holes?
I'm glad PoleCat reminded us of the electrics, but then he is familiar with poles.
The Following User Says Thank You to notmrjohn For This Useful Post:
DJM1955 (09-19-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #10

Round metal lamp post

you kiddin'right..i meant the location of the the holes not the time it takes like a clock position looking down the pole from the top.ever watch a war moving Top Gun and such...he is at your 3 oclock position...he is at your 9 oclock
Old 08-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Bombastic Idiot

Round metal lamp post

Yeah, I'm kiddin', no reason to call in an air strike on me. Hmmm, i wonder how DJM is comin along with that post....pro'lly got it done by now.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #12

Round metal lamp post

i was wondering if i lost it...thanks