Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rough Cut Cypress Ceiling

I'm planning on using rough cut cypress 1x8's for the ceiling in an outdoor 4-season kitchen. But I'm concerned about the rough cut being hard to maintain; spider webs, dust, etc. Does anybody have any experience maintaining this type of ceiling material?
Thanks,
Tom

randallrepairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,054

Ever see what a textured ceiling looks like after a few years, even if it's not in the kitchen?
How would you seal the edges so there's no heating and cooling loss?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply. But actually, I took a look at our knockdown kitchen ceiling and it still looks pretty good after 6 years.

As for sealing the ceiling against leaks, the roofing system is the rough cut cypress, a layer of roofing felt, 1 1/2" rigid insulation, 1/2" plywood, roofing felt, and then shingles. So I don't think it will leak much air.

With that said, I can repaint my existing ceiling if it needs it. Won't be able to do that with the rough cypress. So I'm still not sure of how to go here. I've been looking on the web and see a lot of designers using rough lumber for ceilings. Guess the designers don't have to live with the long term maintenance.
Thanks
randallrepairs is offline   Reply With Quote