Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rotten bottom plate advice!!

House had broken pipe 2 winters ago! Removed all mold & replaced most of the Sheetrock! I ripped up bathroom subfloor to change some plumbing & lay new subfloor & found bottom plate (not treated sill plate) was completely rotten! I have to lay subfloor under wall plates! Is there any way I can accomplish this without jacking house up! It's a 1 story ranch house with crawl space only!! I dunno how to post pictures with mobile version of diy! Any advise help would b great!! Its my uncles house but I'm going to be moving in it! It was Empty when pipe broke & he waited to do repairs! That's y mold got so bad! It was hotwater baseboard pipe that broke!! Water ran for at least 11 days!! Ughh it was a mess!! O, the wall studs r in bad shape too!! Alot of wood rot!! I had to sister in new floor joists

Dirtyfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Is there any way I can accomplish this without jacking house up! It's a 1 story ranch house with crawl space only!!
Nope,... Not that I've ever heard of....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,292

To post pictures, I usually will take them first, then go into the app, and when you reply to this post, press the second to the right button at the top, which is a plus sign. That will allow you to take a picture & post, post a pic. Then when it posts, you still have to click on the picture at the bottom to "insert Inline", to have it post. These instructions are for the iPhone, should be the same for the droid.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #4

Name:  image-3038860763.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  22.7 KB

Name:  image-736086306.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  24.8 KB

Here's some photos! Thanks for instructions to post pics!! I do have iPhone! I thought cutting studs off a foot up or so could let me lay plate! Then sister new studs to old ones!
Dirtyfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
rdhd

It looks like you are in to a big remodel. How did it work out? What did you do?

You may get away with just re dry-walling the bathroom though.

I would have used used jacks to support the joists and replace the sill plate with pressure treated timber along with a sill plate gasket. The insulation would most likely need to be replaced as well as the drywall, with materials rated for a moist environment.

Any signs of mould or rot would need to be cut out and replaced.

It is a big job, but do it correctly once so you do not have to do it again at twice the price.
rdhd is offline   Reply With Quote