Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

roof ventilation question

Building a sunroom here in central NJ. The north side of the roof is a shallow pitch and has two skylights. The Architect called for drilling 3 1/2" holes thrugh the ceiling joists above the skylights to allow for ventilation in those two joist bays. (The skylight framing obviously blocks air from the soffits.) It's only a 6 foot run above the skylights, how important are these holes? There is a ridge vent up top and I am hopefull there will be no adverse results from me not drilling these holes as I am too lazy. Any advice??

fred5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Don't be lazy, in fact you won't be, 'cos re-drywalling your ceiling after is a LOT of work.

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

You really think it will collect moisture? (Right now I am one of those people who asks for directions and then corrects you as you're giving them so your reply to this need only be, "Shut up." I have to rent a right angle drill to make these 6 holes so I'm also being cheap.) Some more details. This is a tray ceiling, so the roof rafters travel up from the end wall about 2 feet before the ceiling joists intersect them, leaving me with a 9 1/2' ceiling, so these two joist bays will only have about 1 foot of dead air space at the bottome before they are uninsulated above the top of the attic floor. (Remember, a simple "shut up" will resign me to the fact that I should drill the holes and I thank you in advance for the advice.
fred5454 is offline   Reply With Quote