Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #1

Share |

Roof Leaking - Do I Need to Replace Drywall?

I live on the first floor of a condo, with two units above me. I was notified about a week ago that our roof needs repair, and later noticed water damage on the wall behind my HVAC unit.

My guess is that this is from the roof leaking and dripping all the way down to my unit, and the water splashing off the plumbing behind the wall. I don't know for sure though... the water damage is mostly a straight horizontal line the entire width of that wall, with water streaks all the way down to the baseboards.

The wall is currently dry, but bumpy. And the baseboards have a white mold growing on it that is currently being removed. It looks like it was quite a significant amount of water.

I have been away from my condo for a few weeks, so I'm guessing the damage was from the last time it rained (about a week ago), but still not 100% certain this is damage from the roof. Could be a plumbing problem. Not sure how to find out for sure.

My main question is about the walls. It looks like the water came from behind the walls and penetrated through the drywall. Do I need to rip the drywall out and replace it? Or just clean it properly? I'm concerned that mold could be growing and spread behind the walls, causing much bigger issues in the future.

The problem is in order to get to the wall, I'd have to remove my entire HVAC unit.

Thanks!

dombrorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #2

You need to talk to the condo management... you may not own the drywall. Also if the roof leak is from an insured loss the consequencial water damage would be covered. Same with a plumbing leak from pipes in common areas.

I would certainly probe the wall cavity area to confirm mold and explore other ways to access the area to deal with a problem. Remove and reset of the airhandler should be a last resort, if there is no other way.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Household Handyman

I do agree with Bob. You are living in a condo--do you have a HOA, or some type management who accepts this damage responsibility to your unit from a roof leak? David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the help and tips. We do have a condo associations, and I notified the management about the issue on Friday. I didn't ask if they'll cover damages, but they probably wouldn't tell me unless I asked. I'll give them a call on Monday and will have to read through our rules/regulations.

I believe that I'm responsible for all walls inside my unit. But not 100% on that.

How would I probe the wall cavity area to confirm mold? Is that something I should really have professionally done, or something I can do myself?

Thanks again.
dombrorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #5

This might be best left to the pros unless you have the time, energy, and not the insurance covrage. You need to define what you truly own...
Statements need to be clear: from the framing studs out or from drywall can leave alot of questions. Make someone with authority point to what is your responcibility. If you have your own insurance as I hope you do... your adjuster will certainly pin point this if need be.

For example: drywall has three parts. one the side you see and paint. 2. the gysum (rock) 3. The backing paper. Some condos ... you own the paint... others you own too the back side. You may own all of interior, but
have a definitive line on exterior or common walls.

As Mold doesn't care who ownes what... good documentaion durring restoration is vital... get it fixed then sort out who owes what... all in agreement up front... This might even involve the neighbors and their carrier.

Probe for mold: can be as simple as a rag on a coathanger through a small hole in the drywall... too TV scopes on a tube w/CSI investigators in white suits. Most insurance mold coverage has limits and exclusions. Few pay for exploritory efforts. You won't know until you ask or really read all policies front to back. (then study case law).

good luck ..I hope this is easy on you.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #6

Whoever's responsibility it is, the drywall should be replaced once the source of the water is determined and repaired.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote