Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Roof leak

We thought it was ice dams, but the leak happens during heavy rains regardless of temperature. It is in line with skylights but the leak happens where the top of the wall meets the ceiling. Any ideas? Getting a new roof and eliminating skylights this spring. Nothing but trouble with them. Roof is 19 years old. Gutters are clean and were not overflowing. Probably from skylights or could backing up gutters still be the issue?
Attached Images

Slyguysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Roof leak

Quote:
It is in line with skylights but the leak happens where the top of the wall meets the ceiling.
Ayuh,... It's probably leakin' around the skylights, 'n runnin' down the rafters...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #3

Roof leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo

Ayuh,... It's probably leakin' around the skylights, 'n runnin' down the rafters...
I thought the same thing. I figured if it was the gutters, the water would start coming out of the soffit vents first before getting to the wall (which has also been a past issue when the gutters were clogged). thanks. If anyone else has a different opinion, I welcome input. Thank you.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Roof leak

There's a pretty big area between the bottom of the saheetrock and the wall. Looks to be 3-4 feet. If it came from the skylight I would expect some water marks on the ceiling in that area.
Do you have exterior pictures?
One or two on the roof would be nice.
The slope of the roof looks to be very shallow. What roofing material is up there?
My brother had a, "homemade" skylight on his roof . Made from 2x4's for the frame and glass caulked on top. It leaked for years. I don't know how many tubes of caulking were needlessly sacrificed.
When we put on a new roof, I put in an Andersen unit and it's been fine for 11 years.
Skylights don't leak if they're professionally made and installed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #5

Roof leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519
There's a pretty big area between the bottom of the saheetrock and the wall. Looks to be 3-4 feet. If it came from the skylight I would expect some water marks on the ceiling in that area.
Do you have exterior pictures?
One or two on the roof would be nice.
The slope of the roof looks to be very shallow. What roofing material is up there?
My brother had a, "homemade" skylight on his roof . Made from 2x4's for the frame and glass caulked on top. It leaked for years. I don't know how many tubes of caulking were needlessly sacrificed.
When we put on a new roof, I put in an Andersen unit and it's been fine for 11 years.
Skylights don't leak if they're professionally made and installed.
Ron
There is actually only About 2 feet from bottom of skylight to the wall. The roof is well sloped ( walkable but barely) and the photos don't do the slope justice. The skylight is 19 years old installed when the house was built. Roof itself is ok but the skylights have been a leak problem since we moved in 4 years ago.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 530

Roof leak

I have no doubt that your plan to replace the roof and eliminate the skylights will get this taken care of. 19 yr old roof + 19 yr old skylights= high probability of leakage.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #7

Roof leak

Thanks everyone. Sounds like i will be all set with the new roof and no skylights (or leaks) this spring.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Roof leak

I believe you should take some professional assistance. They will guide you in the right direction.

meenakshidpfoc is offline   Reply With Quote