Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof or bathroom fan leaking??

So, last night at about 11:00 pm, my wife say's "I think the roof is leaking". I went in the bathroom, and next to the bathroom fan, there was a softball size "water mark" in the drywall. So, I got out of bed, and went up in the attic.

Here's what I found: I didn't find any roof leak. The water was coming from my fan duct. I have read a lot of post about this, and everyone talks about insulating the duct. My house is about 12 years old. The duct seems well insulated. It's wrapped in some kind of black plastic with insulation on the inside. From the fan, the duct runs horizontally about 8', makes a bend and goes out up through the roof, through a roof vent.

I live in Wisconsin, so it is cold. What's strange is it's not as cold as it has been. Also, we have lived in this house for 10 years. Why would be suddenly be having this problem? Could the roof vent be leaking, and water is running on the inside of the insulated duct?

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

tsherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

It may be condensation in the air duct, it may be that running back into the room - check the slope of the ducting.

It may be moist air going into the attic from the bathroom, around the fan grill. That should be sealed...

If your vent is capped the way it should be, nothing should be getting into the ducting from outside.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The duct seems to be pretty level.

When you say "It may be moist air going into the attic from the bathroom, around the fan grill. That should be sealed..."

Are you referring to a seal between the drywall and the metal box of the fan? If so, how should this be sealed? Would I seal it from the attic or from the bathroom? What would I use to seal it? From the attic, I can see a little bit of light between the fan box and the drywall.

Thanks.
tsherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yes. Here's where a can of spray-foam would help. Tackle from the bathroom side.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

Is this metal duct with insulation around it, or the flex duct with insulation? Either way, I would check the insulating material near the point where the exhaust exits the roof to see if the insulating material may be wet. You might be getting water infiltration at the roof/duct point and it's traveling via the insulating material, or within the duct. I'm also wondering if this may be the water/humidity exhausted from the bath area and the fan not being ran long enough (time-wise). What size is the actual duct? When the air leaves the fan enclosure, and the duct is larger than the exhaust sizing, the air reduces velocity. The temp of the duct is cooler than the warm, moist air so the moisture will drop out of the slower moving air--condensing within the duct. Particularly that 8' run. IF the horizontal run is even slightly pitched back towards the exhaust fan unit, the water may be coming from this scenario. Could you possibly drill a small hole along the bottom of this to see if any moisture runs out? just my thoughts, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote