Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |

Roof!

Need help on question concerning roofing company. We had a new roof put on October2006, due to hail storm. Underneath the porch we have tongue and groove ceiling. About a month ago we noticed a leak over the porch. The tongue and groove starting to bow. Called the roofing company, they came out and replace the roof on the entire overhang over porch, but refuses to replace the wood on ceiling of porch! He says it looks like previous damage. We had a new roof put on in 1998 when we moved in, never a leak! I told him that if it was a previous leak the ceiling would be rotted after 9 yrs! It's just starting to bow. When they came and replaced the roof over overhang, they had to replace some wood that was damaged due to leak, I asked the owner why that had to be replace now and it didn't have to be replace when they originally put the roof on, he says because they didn't put the ice and water shield on, DUH can you say LEAK!!!! So I threatened him with small claims court, now he says he needs to get an engineer out here to look at it, engineer!!!! I mean does it really take an engineer or can't a regular roofer take a look and see that it was damaged due to the leak? We've had a drought this summer and it's rained 3 times this summer, so he says that it couldn't be his fault, I said hello we had snow and the snow sits on the roof and when it melts where does it go! There is also insulation in the roof on porch, which the man that built this house was eccentric to say the least. So I told him that if it hadn't been for the insulation it would have shown sooner, the insulation just slowed it down. He says that if he has to replace it we would have to pay half!!! I shouldn't think that we would have to since it was his men that screwed it up. My question do we really need an engineer or another roofing company to look at this. I think he's trying to get around have to fix it. Otherwise the porch is or was in perfect condition. Thanks for any help you can give.

felicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #2

Roof!

can you post photos of the damage?
What would it cost to replace the boards?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #3

Roof!

He wouldn't offer to fix it for half price if he didn't think it was his fault. Stick to your guns and have him fix it. Sounds like he already knows that's the outcome. He's just trying to avoid it.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #4

Roof!

Is Ice and Water required by code in your area?

You would be in a nice position if it were required.
97catintenn is offline   Reply With Quote