Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #1

Share |

Riding Lawnmower clutch/brake whining

New member ... Great site! Got a Craftsman 16 horse riding lawnmower running that has been sitting a couple of years. When I put it in forward or reverse the clutch/brake makes a noise. If I put slight pressure on the clutch/brake it stops the noise. Any suggestions on the fix.

Thanks for any help.

ddodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Just a guess - Check for debris around the belts and pulleys. If there is none try changing the belts. 90% if issues on my rider are fixed with new belts. Maybe that's an exaggeration but belts are a common wear item.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #3

Thanks Brik, that could very well be the problem. The mower sat for years outdoors. Had quite a bit of dirt and debris in and around it. It looks like the previous owner tried to work on it and gave up. The problem was simply a clogged fuel line issue. After I found the clog, put new fuel lines and cleaned the carb It started right up. A half days work and my dad has a free, very good backup mower. It might even be a better mower than the newer one. It's bigger anyway.

Thanks for the help
ddodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Thats funny - I got my rider on free-cycle and it is exactly as you describe yours! It didn't run when I got it. New fuel lines and a battery and it started up. I then replaced the plugs, oil filter, fuel filter, fresh gas, etc. I also replaced the belts and blades. I am using it as a trail mower so I am beating the heck out of it. I have had to replace the PTO to deck belt a few times due to fast wear caused by mowing really high stuff and jamming blades on roots, rocks and stumps. Yikes! But heck, it was 'free'. next up is replacing the main drive belt which is a little involved but the mower drives much slower than it should. Good luck
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote