Ridge Vents On A Hip Roof? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

ridge vents on a hip roof?

It may be hip but is definently not cool. It come to a peak in the center like a pyramid (house is essentially a 4 square). Going to add more soffit vents to get some more air in there. Right now the only vent is a small powered fan in the roof. For aesthetics I don't want the whirly things. Will ridge vents work on a hip roof effectively? My option, and what I was originally going to do was build a cupola at the peak but if ridge vents would work nearly as well it would be a lot less work. Also, I only have access to 3 sides of the soffits for venting as a shed roof was added to a the back side to cover an addition. I'm in western Arkansas. Recently added cellulose insulation for a total of 15 inches and that's made some difference over the 6 inches I had but want to cool down the attic some to help stop heat migration through to the ceiling in the evenings.
probably should have posted this in the roofing section. Mods, feel free to move it.

Advertisement

Last edited by Mike in Arkansas; 07-24-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: wrong forum?
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote