Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #1

Share |
Question

"Reverse Cube Tap"

I'm looking for a "reverse cube tap," unfortunately I seem to be unable to find this at the store. I effectively need a device that will combine 2 male wall plugs into 1 female plug so that I can power a lamp from either of 2 sources. Any idea where I can find such a device or if not then how to go about doing this better?
Thanks!
abcde123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

"Reverse Cube Tap"

Ayuh,... Ya mean like This,..??

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
abcde123 (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

"Reverse Cube Tap"

not quite, I have a bunch of those

I need the OPPOSITE of that, one that takes 2 or more male plugs (prongs sticking out) and combines it to one female plug (outlet holes).

I want to plug 1 lamp into 2 outlets so I can turn it on by applying power to either.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

"Reverse Cube Tap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde123 View Post
not quite, I have a bunch of those

I need the OPPOSITE of that, one that takes 2 or more male plugs (prongs sticking out) and combines it to one female plug (outlet holes).

I want to plug 1 lamp into 2 outlets so I can turn it on by applying power to either.
Ayuh,... That'll be the potential cause of burnin' yer house down, if those circuits are on different breakers...

There's a reason ya can't buy what yer lookin' for...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
abcde123 (06-16-2012), BigJim (07-03-2012), gregzoll (06-16-2012), oh'mike (06-17-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #5

"Reverse Cube Tap"

i see the potential hazard but i never intend to turn on both plugs at once so should be no problems there. The purpose is for a stage lighting system, so I can plug some parcans (lights) to a chaser pack and a direct wall switch, so i can use either source at will (flash to music or steady on) without plugging and unplugging the lights from source to source all night. If this is a dangerous solution, is there a better method? (note that I would generally power both source plugs from the same extension cord, split with a "normal" cube tap as pictured above or a power strip, so they should stay on the same leg.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #6

"Reverse Cube Tap"

thats what im looking for
Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #7

"Reverse Cube Tap"

is there no simple/safe/cheap way to achieve this? need 4 of them...
Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Household Handyman

"Reverse Cube Tap"

I'll admit that I don't know everything, and am forgetting more each day, but--that yellow "reverse cube trap" in the photo appears that it would not work with a normal duplex outlet found in home. Note that both of the neutral blades are side-by-side. I don't think I have ever seen a duplex receptacle which would be side-by-side. All the one's I have seen are "over-and-under" type. I still see a problem with this one: IF the duplex receptacle was split to the each outlet were on a different circuit, then you plugged this into a receptacle, which it would fit, you would have a cross-over of the electrical feeds. Not a good thing.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
abcde123 (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #9

"Reverse Cube Tap"

note that that picture is a photoshop by me to illustrate what i need. The intent I have is to plug one of those plugs into a flasher pack that flashes a light on and off, and the other into a switched outlet that I can control directly. Yes if both come on at once bad things could happen ,but I would only turn the directly switched outlet on when the chaser is off. Both plugs would be used with extension cords so the exact configuration of the blades shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

"Reverse Cube Tap"

I want to keep an open bucket of gasoline in the center of my living room. I don't intend to ever use open flames near it, but.......
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
abcde123 (07-02-2012), gregzoll (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
jschaben

"Reverse Cube Tap"

If I got the picture of what you want to do, you might wire an outlet controlled by a double pole double throw swith. They ain't cheap
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-1282-M.../dp/B0033PSG5A

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
abcde123 (07-02-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

"Reverse Cube Tap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I want to keep an open bucket of gasoline in the center of my living room. I don't intend to ever use open flames near it, but.......
Close enough to a Bill Engval reference for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
abcde123 (07-02-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

"Reverse Cube Tap"

So, basically you want a Suicide cord. You have to make them yourself, but again not wise, since if both outlets have power, you then end up with 240 volts. For stage lighting, they make controllers and dimmer packs for a reason.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
abcde123 (07-02-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

"Reverse Cube Tap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
If I got the picture of what you want to do, you might wire an outlet controlled by a double pole double throw swith. They ain't cheap
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-1282-M.../dp/B0033PSG5A
It would actually be easier for the OP to just get one of these http://www.pssl.com/American-DJ-SC8-...Control-System It is only a hundred bucks, and one of the most basic setups out there.

abcde123 (07-02-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
jschaben

"Reverse Cube Tap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It would actually be easier for the OP to just get one of these http://www.pssl.com/American-DJ-SC8-...Control-System It is only a hundred bucks, and one of the most basic setups out there.
Hi Gregg- I'm not sure that would work for him. The way I read his requirement is that he needs to selectively direct one of two inputs to a single output. I admit I didn't didn't read the description all that closely but it looked to have only one input.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
abcde123 (07-02-2012)

Tags
cube tap, electrical, help!, lighting, power