Retrofit Soffit Vents - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Retrofit Soffit Vents

My home was built in the mid 50's and originally had wooden soffits on it. The house had new aluminum soffits put on it sometime in the mid 90's. When they put the soffits up they put in the purforated pieces every 4 feet but DID NOT cut out the wooden soffit board behind. My attick is extremely hot due to not having ventilation at all. There are 5 box vents on the roof up near the ridge but I need a way to get air in through the soffits.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than tearing off all of the soffits and starting over? I'l like to not have to remove any of the aluminum soffits because it is near impossible to do it without bending or kinking them...

Any suggestions???

Advertisement

four22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 516

Retrofit Soffit Vents

Drill holes thru the perforations, and thru the wood?

Advertisement

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Retrofit Soffit Vents

Worker- " Hey boss, since we're putting up vented soffit, shouldn't we at least drill holes in this wood so the roof can breathe? " Boss- " I don't pay you to think! Just put the damn soffit up and the homeowner will never know the difference. The next time I want your opinion I will ask for it! " 2 years later they are out of business.. OP, to do it right I can't think of any other option then tearing it off and doing it right... Sorry, you were dealt this hand..
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Retrofit Soffit Vents

Sadly this was done before I bough the house and didn't notice it forthw first 3 years that I have been here...

I agree that tearing it all off and doing it right is the best solution but was wondering if there was any other good options out there.
four22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Retrofit Soffit Vents

In the past, I've hole sawed through the aluminum and wooden soffit and retrofitted some round screened vents. If you get the right color, they aren't very noticable. Here is a link to the type I am reffering to. Try to get one in every rafter bay and be sure your attic insulation is not blocking the airflow.

https://ventmastersstore.com/shop/sm...FSJoOgodfywANA
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote