DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Retrofit bathroom vanity with above counter sink

17K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  forresth 
#1 ·
We have really low counters in our bathroom. We had the idea of retrofitting the existing vanity by cutting a hole into the existing sink and placing a above counter sink over the old sink hole.

The hole we are thinking of cutting would be basically just to increase the old sink hole to fit all of the plumbing for the new sink through it.

Can you look at the picture to tell me if this is possible? We think the sink is porcelain bit don't know. Can we cut a hole into it? What tools do we need to do it? Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Why will it not work? What needs to happen to do this?
An above counter sink(it's called a vessel sink) requires a 1 1/2" hole for the drain. If you cut out what you want, the vessel sink will fall into the vanity bottom.
Just goggle vessel sinks an look at how they're installed. Then you will understand the situation.
Ron

#9 ·
Why don't you just build a base out of 2 x 4's to raise the whole cabinet assy up 3 1/2"? Disconnect plumbing, sink top looks to be cultured marble, one piece. Should just be held down with caulk. Pop it up and remove, find the screws holding cabinets to wall and remove. You will have to more than likely trim supply lines off below shut offs to remove cabinets. Install the base, cover the front of the 2 x with white toekick material (thin plywood painted white) and reinstall plumbing. Mostly your labor, not that much in materials.
Mike Hawkins:)

#10 ·
"We think the sink is porcelain" Personally--I doubt that. The entire vanity top would be porcelain in that case, just not practical. I would say it is "cultured marble", which is nothing more than marble dust mixed with an epoxy and then put into a mold under pressure.
"Can we cut a hole into it?" Why certainly. In today's world a hole can be cut into anything. The main question is: Do you have the proper tools and expertise to cut into this material, no matter what it is?
"What tools do we need to do it?" IMO: Impossible to answer that one via this website. Too many variables involved. I operate a "Household HandyMan" business and work out of an 18 ft. long trailer packed with what I think I would need for most jobs--Wrong! I run across jobs at least once a week that I do not have the proper tool(s) for. Decision to be made, to buy or not to buy for that one job.
Personally: I don't think it would be a practical idea to cut into that vanity top to fit a vessel sink into. It's just not going to fit properly and be attractive at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.