Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Retro fit European Hinges

Hi everyone,

I am looking to fit concealed/hidden/European hinges on 80s cabinet doors. I have been looking for an answer on this and couldn't really find anything, possibly because of my lack of knowing the right terms.

The cabinet doors are tapered on the inside, what some refer to as fingerpull or roundover. The edges are basically routered to give your fingers a place to grip since there are no pulls installed on the doors or drawers.
Retro fit European Hinges-door.jpg

I plan to paint/stain these, replace the old hinges with the new types and add pulls/knobs.

The problem I have is that I can't seem to find hinges that fit this particular finish. Normal cabinet doors have square edges, so the European hinges fit like a charm. But because of these tapered edges, the ones I've tried does not work, the tapered edge of the door presses against the frame (these are mounted on a faceframe) and prevents the door from opening more than probably 65 degrees. If I move the cup position closer to the edge, the hole will be visible from the side of the door.

Has anyone retrofitted these type of doors with European hinges? The only alternative I can think of is to cut away some of the edges to give the hinge more room, but this is an exercise one cannot easily recover from if it goes south.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

dchersels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Have a look here

https://www.rockler.com/hardware/hinges

rjgogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #3

Thanks, I have had a look at the Rockler site, the problem is I don't know which of the hinges will actually work since all the doors in the pictures have square edges, none have the tapered edges I need to cater for.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Do not worry so much about the Bevel on the Hinge side of the door. It will be fine with the new hinges. The big problem is hiding the old screw holes where the old hinges were attached.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
dchersels (03-08-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

If you happen to have a Rockler store, take in a hinge and within 10 seconds they will tell you the manufacturer, hinge name and walk you over to get them for you.

Some people bring in a door with the hinge on it and you will have an exact match even get carried away and install a new hinge to give you a crash course. Not all stores will step over that line, however.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
dchersels (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #6

Thanks guys, will take the door along and see if they can get me sorted. Appreciate it.