Retractable Awning Installation - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Retractable Awning Installation

Has anyone installed a motorized 16ft awning to a 2x8 header? I had a previous header installed where I had a wood awning. It was 2x6. It was removed. Siding was installed around this header. I want to replace the header with a 2x8. The header will be of course mounted to studs. Do the awning brackets need to be mounted through the header board into the studs or would mounting them directly to the header board be enough?

Or, would replacing the section of siding and mounting the awning directly to the studs be a better option?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Advertisement

jerome8283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Unless the awning is larger then the 2x6 header, you should be okay mounting the awning to the existing. Now if you change it out, you will have to either recover with the vinyl siding to keep the header from rotting, or use a pressure treated piece of lumber.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Unless the awning is larger then the 2x6 header, you should be okay mounting the awning to the existing. Now if you change it out, you will have to either recover with the vinyl siding to keep the header from rotting, or use a pressure treated piece of lumber.
Yes, the brackets are slightly larger then 6". I do plan to cover the 2x8 with vinyl covering.
jerome8283 is offline   Reply With Quote