Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking

Retiling a bathroom!

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice with regards to tiling?

My bathroom is completely covered in tiles if I was to retile my bathroom which would be the easiest way to do this? Would I need to take off the old tiles or would it just be better to try and tile over them?

The tiles that I have now are not in good condition and whoever did the tiling didn't seem to have a clue how to put up tiles!!

Thanks for reading my post!!

HappyBlonde30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Retiling a bathroom!

Pretty sure you'll get good advice here..plenty of tilers and restorers around!

IMO. if you're not sure that the previous guy did a good job tiling your bathroom in the first place, why trust your installation to him? The best thing to do is bite the bullet and take it down.

There are very few instances when pro tilers would tile over something...the potential risks are not worth the saved dollars or time.

I know I wouldn't do it if I were asked. But hey that's just me...

But for real confirmation, pics are called for.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

Last edited by ccarlisle; 07-27-2008 at 12:45 PM.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Retiling a bathroom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Pretty sure you'll get good advice here..plenty of tilers and restorers around!...

Lots of help to be offered.....(not to mention, with a member name like, "HappyBlonde30"...)
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Retiling a bathroom!

You should plan on removal of the tiles and in most cases, the substrate they're attached to. Tiling over existing tiles just isn't done.

The "easiest" way isn't ever going to be the best way when it comes to preparation for tiling.

Whether or not the substrate needs to come out depends on what it is. If they tiled over sheetrock in the wet areas, it definately needs to come out because that is a poor practice. It won't survive removal of the tiles anyhow. If they used cementitious backerboard (floor or walls), there's a slim chance that you'll be able to re-use it, although it would be best to just replace it if you stress it when removing the tiles. Ideally, you apply new backerboard to the walls where the tile is, and waterproof it with an applied waterproofing material before tiling (redguard or kerdi).

Your floor might be a mortar bed or it might be backerboard over plywood. It might even be just plywood. Plan on installing backerboard if you find just plywood.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Retiling a bathroom!

We are in the process of retiling our bathroom. We went with the new porcelain tile system. SNAPSTONE. You dont need to any prep work but sweeping. The tiles come in a tray and you snap them together and grout them with their grout. That is it. You can cut them with a wet saw. So easy so far, and we have never tiled anything before.

Here is the link to their website. http://snapstone.com

We bought all of ours at the local Menards. Comes with a warranty also.

Good Luck!

I will attach a picture of how our bathroom is coming along. We did this all this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Retiling a bathroom!-snapstone.jpg  
linz2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Retiling a bathroom!

Remove this way the work will last longer and be less likely to cause problems.
JohnDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Retiling a bathroom!

Your best to remove the tile and backer, also plan on changing the shower body while you are at it. you don't want to redo what you just did a few years down the road
the only time we tile over tile is on floors that are installed over a mud base or concrete. with no imperfections such as cracks or loose tiles, never over walls. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #8

Exclamation

Retiling a bathroom!

...that's not HappyBlonde30's picture...that's another posters offering on snapstone.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote