Restoration Guidelines - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Restoration Guidelines

Hello all, new to the forum, new to home ownership, new to restoration... batting 1000...

Just purchased a home in Central Louisiana, from my brief history it was built in 1910. At one point it was on the local historical tour but has been through several hands and changes since.

I'm currently working with the local historical society to see about putting it on the Nat. Register... It's supposedly the first house built in the first "neighborhood" in the area.

My questions generally before getting started is, I understand that the addition of central heating and cooling are not factors to worry about...
What are the guidelines for kitchen upgrades?

What are the guidelines for preserving the history, yet making it livable in the 21st century...

Thanks for any help...

Advertisement

Okiekajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

Restoration Guidelines

Just a suggestion, but you should do whatever you want to get done first, then apply. If you truly want the historical designation and a historical renovation, quadruple your planned renovation costs, and extend the timeline by 3-500%. And that does not give you a better house, mind you, otherwise we would still be building as they did 100 years ago.

My rule of thumb is surfaces and fenestration: 100% historical. Everything else should be brought to code, plus some.

Advertisement

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Restoration Guidelines

I agree with Tscarborough on this one. Some day, I might look into having mine listed, but not until I am finished with EVERYTHING. My own personal guidelines are more strict than the national guidelines, so I know that I am not doing anything to compromise the historic character of my house. However, I would rather NOT have people looking over everything I do, or having to "ask" anyone what I should or can do. As far as the National Regester, I recommend you to ask any questions about do's and don'ts, so you know where you stand on compromising the historic character, but once it is listed, the you have to play by their rules.

This of course is just my opinion.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Advice worth 2 cents!

Rewards Points: 150

Restoration Guidelines

Hi!

I own a registered historical home in Canada. What you have heard so far is very good advice. I needed a lot of the city's help in order to restore my home and therefore had to register the house before starting.

yep..$$$ big time.....Codes, inspections, rules,...yechhhh too many! delays..oh my god! the whole ordeal has been quite a ride.

Word of advice (as above) Do ALL of your work first, then think about the register. But why register?

That said, The outside of the home is 1906 including windows, roof, doors, brick, porch, stairs...even my plants were chosen to fit the era!

On the inside? pure sweet modern! mostly imported from Italy and Germany. I read Dwell magazine a lot and was totally inspired. Again, concentrate on plumbing, electrical, structure then do the fun stuff!

My pride and joy is my 72" x 72" tiled steam shower...aghhhhh! :-)

_pete

....pm me if you need some advice!