Residential Automatic DIY Gate - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Residential Automatic DIY Gate

The driveway (15 ft width) to my home's back yard currently has two gates that swing out. I would like to replace the existing gate with something automated.

I'd like to install an automated system myself, but am not sure whether I should use a slide gate system or a double swing system like the mighty mule. Because I live in an in-town neighborhood, I'm thinking that a slide gate is more secure than one of the double swing systems, but I can't really find anything about which is a better choice.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

lateracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Challenge Everything!

Rewards Points: 81

This Guy made my Gate, if you look through his Albums, you'll find some Ideas:

http://www.mycreativeironworks.com/Site/Welcome.html

Cheers,

Advertisement

Deja-vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You will have to automate and balance (and keep balanced) both sides of a swinging gate. A rolling gate will have only one mechanism. I am not sure how one will look with the fence you have though.

Security wise, I think it a toss up. Someone wanting in will just hop the fence or charge the gate with a truck bumper in either case? A solid rolling gate might have some strength advantages over a double swing though.

Probably want to think about putting your gate hardware on the inside, by the way. And buy robust hardware heavy enough to hold up for years.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateracer View Post
Any thoughts?
Build an archway at the gate... and then use a roll up overhead door.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,668

For the swing you will need 2 units 1 for each side. a little pricey. For the roller you will need a new gate, 1 piece. For thr swing from the pic are you sure you have room for the swing?
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

The current gates are in pretty poor condition and need to be completely rebuilt, so a new gate is already going to happen. As such, I'm open to either design (slide or double swing). There is adequate clearance for the gates to swing out without obstructing the road.

I'm all about using burly hardware since this gate will probably see daily use and I'm planning to be in the house for the next 7-10 years. Additionally, we see a lot of rain here and fence boards like to warp, so I'm probably going to get a powder coated steel frame gate with captured wooden boards. Like this:

I've never seen an archway gate with roll up door on a wooden fence...I get the design functionality, but I think a 15ft wide steel roll up would look terrible on my current fence. Is there some way to make a roll up "blend" with a wooden fence?
lateracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,268

Quote:
I get the design functionality...
It does accomplish the goal!!

Quote:
I think a 15ft wide steel roll up would look terrible on my current fence.
Do you need that wide an opening?

The height/clearance would be a bigger concern to me.
When I first posted I thought 8or9 feet wide and maybe 10 feet high.
(for a truck or van w/ ladders; not a concrete mixer)

Quote:
Is there some way to make a roll up "blend" with a wooden fence?
Depending on construction... Only the archway really needs to "blend".
The gate itself can "contrast" and be set back some from the fence line.
Paint can do wonders.

LINK
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,044

You are in the Atlanta area which I am familiar with having two (2) sisters in the Roswell and Norcross areas. I also have a B-I-L who is a developer and have seen some very nice auto gates on homes. From your photo it appears (IMO) that a slide-gate, or "rolling gate" opening toward the home (left side of the posted photo) would be the best choice. IF you located the slide gate on the right side, per the photo, you would have a large gap at the bottom due to the elevation change at the right side. 1) You are limited as to the "swing pattern" of two (2) swing gates into the back yard. You might be into some sort of code violation if you swing them outward towards the driveway in regards to the property line and your city's codes. I have seen slide gates in your area which have a wooden cover matching the homes fencing also. The set-back on these is a bit more then plaing metal gating due to the fencing material(s). In your case-gates that would swing in would also give you a much smaller area for backing you truck into the yard unless you build them to open more than 90 each. A sliding gate would give you more room for this. Just my opinion.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
lateracer (04-22-2013), ToolSeeker (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
www.inspectorzo.com

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

lateracer,
You have the perfect layout for a sliding gate. It will be safer, cheaper, and easier on future maintenance. Also, you will not have to fight your way around the exposed swing gate obstruction when you drive in or out.
You will need to pour a narrow concrete ribbon to accommodate an even bottom "V" track to slide the gate's wheels over. A single motor on the inside of the fence, and as for the gate, you could install it on the inside or the outside of your wood fence. Your encroachment off the property line would be minimal. Unless you have a neighbor that want to %^&* with you, you'll be fine.
Good luck,

InspectorZo

Quote:
The driveway (15 ft width) to my home's back yard currently has two gates that swing out. I would like to replace the existing gate with something automated.

I'd like to install an automated system myself, but am not sure whether I should use a slide gate system or a double swing system like the mighty mule. Because I live in an in-town neighborhood, I'm thinking that a slide gate is more secure than one of the double swing systems, but I can't really find anything about which is a better choice.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by Gary in WA; 04-20-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: removed web link belongs below signature line.
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InspectorZo For This Useful Post:
lateracer (04-22-2013)