Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

Reporting stolen things.

I'm doing a fairly large project on my house and there are often mid-way individual project left over between weekends. At first I noticed scrap metal missing and thought it's not worth reporting; that happened twice.
Unattended dumpsters have also had space stolen with random crap.
Now, I notice my 2 wheel hand truck missing. It was in plane sight in my driveway, so... not my fault at all but I could have put it away to prevent fate.
Is it worth reporting these things things to the police or is it a waste of time? I don't know what they could do if I did file a report.
What are your collective thoughts on this?
It's pissing me off.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Mod

Reporting stolen things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Is it worth reporting these things things to the police or is it a waste of time? .
It's likely both but if you don't report then "no chance" is guaranteed.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

Reporting stolen things.

Report it......if for no other reason than to possibly get more patrols in your area when the thefts are occurring. Who knows? Your info may help the police catch a network of thieves or druggies cashing in your scrap to buy more drugs.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
joecaption (10-08-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #4

Reporting stolen things.

get one or more of those cameras that hunters use. hide it, with bait. catch bad guy/s.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-08-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

Reporting stolen things.

I would absolutely report these thefts. I would also, in an inconspicuous place, engrave my Social Security number or other identifier on anything of value that has no serial number (like the hand truck). If such an item is pawned, you might get it back. The game camera is a good idea too.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #6

Reporting stolen things.

Your social is the last # you want to be putting out there!!!
Your name, phone #, may be a better idea and a whole lot safer.
I had over $3000.00 worth of tools stolen from my house.
The girl next door called both the police and me to let me know someone had been there.
The people across the street saw the truck, it was my exemployer and his crew. The name of the company was right on the side of the truck.
I fill in a police report with all the items that were missing and all the witnesses names and numbers.
The police refused to help, they wanted me to prove the items were really mine.
Some of these items I had bought many years ago and there was no ID numbers on them.
How about they prove the items are there's!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
I have gas!

Reporting stolen things.

I'm going to install security cameras. I couldn't even tell the police exactly when it was taken.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Reporting stolen things.

File a report. Just make sure they get it right. We had some vandalism at a house being built (looked mostly like kids idly screwing around with some low voltage cables). The cops gave me the run-around with what they wanted to file it under. It wasn't construction theft since nothing was taken and the one cop involved (over the phone) just couldn't get it through his head it was just vandalism.

Anyway, just file a report for the stolen handcart and some illegal dumping. And don't leave anything laying around on the job site. I think most folks agree that once you put something in the dumpster it's fair game for scavenging.

But I've been surprised how many folks think it's just perfectly fine to throw whatever they want into someone else's dumpster. Which, depending on the type of dumpster can be a real problem around here. They've got different dumping rates for different materials. If you've got a dumpster slated for construction material recycling and someone puts landfill trash in it then you'd get charged a much higher disposal rate.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Reporting stolen things.

If a dumpster is sitting on any public property, including street right-of-way, anything in it is fair game. The courts allowed this so that the police could go through people's trash looking for evidence.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
Bill Kearney

Reporting stolen things.

Fyp...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
if a dumpster is sitting on any public property, including street right-of-way, anything taken out of it is fair game. The courts allowed this so that the police could go through people's trash looking for evidence.
We agree, it's just semantics, but being raised by a lawyer makes ya notice little things like wording...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

Reporting stolen things.

The police here recently arrested a guy for stealing stuff out of a dumpster that was on the street. I look for it to come back and bite them.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
JOATMON

Reporting stolen things.

We got burg'd about 20 months ago....around $10K in electronics and jewelry....as much as I preach about recording S/N's and taking pictures....I had no S/N's recorded....at least we had receipts and some pictures.

After the burg....I installed a wireless camera setup...two cameras that go to an LCD monitor that loos like one of those digital picture frames....

Just before that we noticed that our recycling was disappearing....someone was walking up my driveway to my garage and taking the stuff.....here is the video......I have condensed it for viewing...

Guy went to jail and we have not had an issue since.

A game camera is also a great way to record stuff...they have a motion sensor and will trigger when they detect motion.

On stuff that does not have a s/n, put your address on it. Your chances of getting it back go way up. Put the address where it's hard to see unless you turn it upside down.

If the police stop a guy and he has stuff with your address...but his drivers license says something else....they have great PC to take his sorry ass to jail.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #13

Reporting stolen things.

Wireless cameras are best option for such kind of thieves.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
Stuck in the 70's

Reporting stolen things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
get one or more of those cameras that hunters use. hide it, with bait. catch bad guy/s.
Older game cameras will throw an incandescent flash. This alerts the bad guys and they will just add your camera to their loot.
Most newer ones use infrared flashes. While the flash may not be visible, the unit itself may blink a visible light or make sounds that may be noticeable.
For anyone considering a game camera for security, a "blackout" camera is your best bet. No lights or sounds to attract attention.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #15

Reporting stolen things.

Engrave your drivers license number on the tools.
It is a positive id and will give the police your name and current address (as long as you report change of address to DMV).

Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote