Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
1968 Ranch

Share |
Question

Replacing Sill plate Question

Hello
I have a 1968 Built one story ranch no basement, dirt crawlspace.
I need some advice on how to replace a large section of rotten sill plate. I have to lift the floor joist in a sections say 12' to 15 feet to replace with treated wood and a flashing. I have several 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 8' boards and 4 barn jacks, If I tie three or four boards together with lag bolts the 12' to 15' in length (just like a compost beam), this would be used to support joists. Then use barn jacks sitting on the footings in the crawl space to lift that section, just enough to hammer in new boards. I would use the compost beam side ways, 3 1/2 thick and ? width. Am I cracked in thinking that this is enough support for the house?

Electromech31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #2

I'd focus on doing small sections at a time instead of a composite beam made up of a number of members. A nominal 4x4 will deflect like crazy, and will probably need a strut and a jack under it every 3 or 4 feet to minimize its deflection under load. 12' or longer would be out of the question unless you have enough jacks...Lag bolts won't do anything for you. I'd abandon that idea.

You don't want to lift the house. You want to support it while replacing the old sill plate with the new.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

You're objective isn't to really lift up the house, only to relieve the load on the existing plate. If you have 4 jacks and you are preparing to replace 12 feet, you should be fine with the jacks on 3 foot centers. Use a pressure treated replacement. If there are any achor bolts into the foundation, you'll have to notch the new plate around them and then tighten the nut back down. I trust that your jacks are screw type jacks.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
1968 Ranch

I do plan on replacing with treated wood. I have to lift enough to get the new sill and some type of flashing. I just want to make sure that the 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 bolted together three to four wide would support the joists enough to lift and replace?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #5

How far between jacks? Like I said, a 3-1/2" beam will deflect quite a bit...That's why you don't see 3-1/2" beams supporting homes.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

With jacks on 3 foot centers, two bolted together should be plenty for a temporary bearing surface. Just make sure your lifting line from the jack through the blocking is perfectly plumb and that the jacks are setting level. You don't want anything kicking out. Kicked jacks will become missiles under that kind of load.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
1968 Ranch

thank you for your information.
thekctermite what do you suggest for a beam to support the joists?
I quess Im still uncertien about how to replace a sill that is rotten without lifting?
This is a big job, so I want to be sure of how Im going to do this.