Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #1

Share |

replacing insulated glass-picture windows

I have to replace 3 failed units that are 24" x 36". I have already purchased replacements and removed the outside wood trim on the windows and broken one insulated glass free from the window opening. I got a sheet of small rubber pads with the glass and was told to use two at the bottom to support each glass. They also gave me a tube of sealant. My problem is " how do I support the glass in the opening while I reapply the wood trim to seal it." Should the glass be glued into the opening before attempting to seal the installation and if so what product should I use for this purpose?

ozbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I am confused about you removing the wood trim from the outside? most windows that I have replaced the removable stops are on the inside. we seal the exterior stop, install the glass on the pads and reinstall the interior stops. Look at some exterior wood door slabs you will notice the glazing putty is on the exterior and the interior casing is removable on the interior.
Could this be why the window failed in the first place? just asking to understand the problem. Bob

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #3

These windows were installed from the outside. There are no removeable stops inside. I have some photos of them if that would help.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:54 AM   #4

Yes I would like to see a picture, just for my curiosity.
I would caulk the inside stops with some caulk, Install the rubber pads, caulk the gap around the glass and the window frame, then install the exterior trim and paint . you should be fine as long as the glass panel was ordered correctly. good luck Bob
Old 05-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #5

Hope the pix come through. Is there a special caulk,latex or silicone , or an adhesive that I should use to seal the area between the wood and glass?
Attached Thumbnails
replacing insulated glass-picture windows-p4290024.jpg   replacing insulated glass-picture windows-p4290025.jpg   replacing insulated glass-picture windows-p4290026.jpg  
Old 05-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #6

OZBUD , looking at the pictures , and the size of the window stops, I would use a glazing caulk. DAP makes it in a caulking tube, Silicone would be another good choice as long as your neat with the install because it does not take paint well. the glazing caulk will make the panel stops a lot easier to remove if you have to change the panel in the future. just my opinion ! if you decide on the silicone use painters tape just where the stops outside edge meet the glass this way when you press the stops in place and the excess silicone squeezes out you can then clean the silicone from the tape and the stops then remove the tape. its really simple to do ,Good luck Bob

Last edited by buletbob; 05-11-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #7

buletbob, Many thanks for your advice and tips. I'm gonna have at it as soon as the weather breaks. Hopefully the three replacements will be the end of it. All of the windows in this house are of the same construction and four of them are 36" x 48"...........OZ
Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #8

Glade I was of some help, good luck