Replacing Garage Door Opener? Need Some Input.. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
DIY Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

Replacing garage door opener? Need some input..

Alright so with my house, i've got an older 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener. It's works fine for the time being but the push button doesn't work sometimes and i don't have any remotes.

I looked online and at home depot and remotes were like 38 + tax. Soooo...i decided that i just want to purchase an all new garage door opener. This way i can get the remotes, outside keypad and sensors.

Well basically i've never dealt with a garage door opener and im kind of optimistic about it.

The one i have right now is a chain driven one, so i'm assuming that's the type i need to get.

I was going to look online and see if i can find it better but the one i found at homedepot that i like was the a belt driven one.

Here's a link:
http://weshort.in/urls/9

First question. Would it be difficult to switch from chain driven to belt driven or would it be fairly simple?

Second question. What about that model garage door opener? I've heard that it's a good model but just want to see if anybody else has used one? What about belt driven compared to chain?

Any other suggestions or input anybody might have?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Last edited by tripflex; 12-07-2009 at 04:28 PM.
tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rewards Points: 500

The one you provided in your link I had in my old house. I had it there for about five years until I moved. It was nice and quiet and I did not have any problems with it. I would install it again if I had to do it over.

Changing from belt, chain or screw drive is not an issue. All openers are installed basically the same. It would be putting them together before you hang them that would be a little different.

I would stay away from the screw drive; they don't seem to last nearly as long as the chain or the belt. The chain drives are pretty reliable also, just noisy.

Advertisement

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #3

My 1/2 hp chain-drive units from Sears lasted over ten years but I recently switched to belt-drive units and all of the noise and vibration I used to hear in the house especially the room above the garage has nearly vanished. Its been four trouble-free years so far so I hope the belt lasts a long time too.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

"First question. Would it be difficult to switch from chain driven to belt driven or would it be fairly simple?" For someone who has never changed out a garage door opener, I'm not sure I would say this is "simple", but it's not hard either. I do highly recommend having some help on this project. As stated, putting the unit together may be the hardest part. Suggestion: Read the instructions first. As far as that model: I have put up that particular model more that a few times. Personally, I think Chamberlain makes a nice unit. The belt drives are much quieter than the chain drives for sure. Give yourself and a helper about four hours, take your time, and it will be done. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Suggestion: Read the instructions first.
Couldn't agree more!
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Phil

The most reliable are the ones that use a screw drive - no chain or belt to break. Most new units have more extensive safety features and require a lot more setup time. The last one I installed took most of the day to install the pieces, run new wiring, make the various adjustments, set the codes, and take the old unit to the landfill. If all I had to do with the old unit was spend $38 I would have done that instead.
Phillysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Trip,
I put up garage doors and openers for many years, still do now. First off, the screw drives do last a long time, but are by far the noisiest units. I have been putting up chamberlin's belt drives for the past few years, and have them in my own house. It is the quietist opener I have ever used. Now, the openers I get at the garage door suppliers are not the same ones you get from the box stores. The ones I get come with a one piece track instead of the multipiece units. I can change out an opener in not much more than an hour, partially because I am familiar with them, and partially because they come mostly assembled instead of the erector set kits they sell at the box stores. You may want to check with a local garage door guy and see what he wants to supply and hang one of the better units. The chamberlin I use is a model 3585, 3/4hp, with the one piece track, pretty fancy wall station that gives you the time and temp along with controlling the lights on the unit, wireless keypad and two multi-button remotes that light up when you touch them. I charge 370.00 installed for this setup. The chamberlins you get at hd are usually around 238.00 without installation and are not as good an opener. Hope this helps,
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillysun View Post
The most reliable are the ones that use a screw drive - no chain or belt to break. Most new units have more extensive safety features and require a lot more setup time. The last one I installed took most of the day to install the pieces, run new wiring, make the various adjustments, set the codes, and take the old unit to the landfill. If all I had to do with the old unit was spend $38 I would have done that instead.

Sorry, I respectfully disagree. This is based on my own experience with them. I replaced two of them within five years for my Father in Law, one for my sister in law and one for my daughter and son in law.

I have never known anyone that has broke a chain, (I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just don't know of anyone) From what I have heard the belts are also very reliable. I had one for about five years before I moved, not a single problem; also very quiet.

I agree with firehawkmph that the screw drives are very noisy.

Advertisement

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote