Replacing A Fiberglass Curtain Thing With An Actual Bedroom Door. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing a fiberglass curtain thing with an actual bedroom door.

So the entrance to my bedroom is currently divided by this cheap fiberglass curtain/pocketdoor thing that is falling to shambles and is kind of a nightmare: http://i55.tinypic.com/24xnmg6.jpg; not to mention that with the current set up I have no privacy whatsoever. In any event, I was wanting to install and actual bedroom door to replace the curtain. The opening/(door frame?) measures 2' 10" wide and 6' 6.5" tall. I face some obsticles in just installing the door. The first beeing that the opening is right in between two closets: http://i53.tinypic.com/2qiz2wh.jpg. I have no clue how to remedy this situation; any ideas? The next problem is that the top of the door frame was just made awkwardly: http://i56.tinypic.com/2iivbko.jpg. I suppose the best fix would be to just fill in that awfull bare space with a strip of wood?

Since doors generally open into the rooms they lead to I am going to assume that given that there is a built in bookshelf that stands off the wall on the left hand side, the door would have to open to the right and block the closet (I can live with this). Am I right?

So on top of these somewhat small issues I actually have to idea on how I would go about installing a door here so if someone could provide a step by step guidline it would be appreciated. Thanks for any help in advance .

Advertisement

jde0503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

My advice would be to hire someone to install a door.
Are you renting this space? It looks like a basement with low headroom.
The door would need to be special ordered as the height is not standard.
The living conditions are probably illegal due to the low headroom. You could put in a bifold door depending what your privacy level is.
Unless you own the house you would(should) inform the landlord, so when you move out, he doesn't keep the security deposit even though you improved the area.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
GottaFixIt (08-05-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #3

Quote:
My advice would be to hire someone to install a door.
Are you renting this space? It looks like a basement with low headroom.
The door would need to be special ordered as the height is not standard.
The living conditions are probably illegal due to the low headroom. You could put in a bifold door depending what your privacy level is.
Unless you own the house you would(should) inform the landlord, so when you move out, he doesn't keep the security deposit even though you improved the area.
Well hiring someone really isn't an option and yes I am renting; however I am renting from family so any repairs wouldn't have a neg. result on that end. I know the door would probably have to be custom, but I am fine with some cheap hollow thing 'cuz any door is better than that curtain haha. The room isn't in a basement btw it was just dark in the photos because of the time of day and I hadn't turned lights on. I don't know what qualifys as "low head room" but the bedroom is fine for me (I can stand completely up and not hit my head on fixtures or anything and I am 6' 1" tall. The rooms cieling does slope down and at its lowest point in 7' 2" tall...is that illegal? Anyway the head room isn't my concern, just how would I go about installing a door myself.

There are 2X4 studs on either side of the frame so I don't see a problem here, I just want it to look like a pro job.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #4

Go to You Tube and search "installing an interior door". Watch a few videos to get the gist of the process.
You can also search on the web for the same thing and get step by step procedures.
After you've processed all that info, come back and ask some specific questions on your situation.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

You can buy a prehung unit, that is the most economical. Your problem is going to be the height. Most door units require 82 inches top to bottom. That isn't the end of the world though because they are easy enough to alter if you know what you are doing. The width should be a standard with a little shimming and filler but you have to do that anyway.

It all depends on your skill level as a carpenter.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jde0503 View Post
Well hiring someone really isn't an option and yes I am renting; however I am renting from family so any repairs wouldn't have a neg. result on that end. I know the door would probably have to be custom, but I am fine with some cheap hollow thing 'cuz any door is better than that curtain haha. The room isn't in a basement btw it was just dark in the photos because of the time of day and I hadn't turned lights on. I don't know what qualifys as "low head room" but the bedroom is fine for me (I can stand completely up and not hit my head on fixtures or anything and I am 6' 1" tall. The rooms cieling does slope down and at its lowest point in 7' 2" tall...is that illegal? Anyway the head room isn't my concern, just how would I go about installing a door myself.

There are 2X4 studs on either side of the frame so I don't see a problem here, I just want it to look like a pro job.
Hi jd - I hear where you're coming from. I have an old house that was assembled when the standard door size was "no such thing"
What kind of tools, shop and experience do you have available? That will go a long way toward us making helpful suggestions. Those "cheap, hollow core doors" you mentioned, don't give a lot of margin for trimming them down. The outside frame is only about 1/2" thick, if that. Cut more than that off and you have a big gap to fill. You will also move the doorknob block up or down the amount you cut off. It's doable but not a lot of fun. One of the hazards of more time than money.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #7

Well I am limited to pretty basic tools: chop saw and table saw for cutting if that's what you're getting at. What specific tools am I lookin' at needing for say putting in a prehung door? Is it possible to order a custom sized prehung door? If so where from? How much do you think it'll cost? Also is it possible to install a prehung door where the opening doesn't stick out from the walls perpandicular to the door...that's what I have. Any door would have to be intalled against a flat wall pretty much...hmm...now that I think about it, is that even possible? Thanks for the help
Old 08-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jde0503 View Post
Well I am limited to pretty basic tools: chop saw and table saw for cutting if that's what you're getting at. What specific tools am I lookin' at needing for say putting in a prehung door? Is it possible to order a custom sized prehung door? If so where from? How much do you think it'll cost? Thanks
Hi - You could probably get a custom size ordered from the BORG or any other home center for that matter. How much, no idea. Chop saw and table saw is a great start, I would also recommend a router. Take a CLOSE look at the prehung doors at your local home center, especially the door frames. There really isn't much to them. Some 1x6 would build those. A hollow door can be cut down. I use a circular saw, saw guide and 60 tooth blade with tape on both sides of the cut. You will end up with a bottomless or topless door (yeah, ain't G rated either). The inside dimensions will be ~1-1/4 x whatever, need to measure the inside of the door. I cut a regular 2x4 down to the right size to slip in there and use gorrilla glue and some clamps to secure it till the glue sets up. The height will be your problem as your rough opening looks to be 34" wide so you build your door frame with a 32-1/4" opening. Standard 32" door fits.
This leaves the block for the doorknob moved up or down by the amount you took off the door. For this, I use the router to cut a mortise where I want the door lock, 1-1/4" wide by about 6" long by 3-1/2 deep. This is easy with a couple of 2x4 blocks about 8 or 10" long and a couple of pieces of plywood to make a mortise jig for the router. I then cut a piece of 2x4 to fit the mortise and glue it in. When the glue sets up you can install the lockset. A little bit of work but it's cheap.
You would need to acquire the use of a router, set of guide bushings and a 1/2" PLUNGE cutting bit, preferrably a spiral. If you need more on how to make the jig, just ask.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

IMO,
Your biggest challenge with installing a prehung is that you're going to run into the other door casing shown here:

You'll need to modify that casing for a prehung door.

You could build custom jambs and modify a cheap slab door with the tools you have - well, you would need a chisel for the mortises and a drill for the strike.

Personally, I like Ron's suggestion for a bi-fold for this particular application. They're very easy to cut down. A simple jamb could be installed to fill any gaps.
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #10

Flush doors can be cut down to any height as long as you reinstall the bottom frame between the door skins.
Raised panel doors are limited to and inch or two. Raised panel bifold doors less then hinged doors, due to the construction.

Advertisement

Tags
install door