Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing a door handle/strike plate on a metal door

I'd like to replace my front exterior door handle. The strike plate to the new door handle is bigger. The door is metal. How to I carve a new area for the new strike plate? Also I'm going to use a different set up for a dead bolt. My current door jam has a big cut out where the old door jam was. Is there a product that I can fit into this large space or should I just replace the jam?

amysmithwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysmithwilson View Post
I'd like to replace my front exterior door handle. The strike plate to the new door handle is bigger. The door is metal. How to I carve a new area for the new strike plate? Also I'm going to use a different set up for a dead bolt. My current door jam has a big cut out where the old door jam was. Is there a product that I can fit into this large space or should I just replace the jam?
pictures would def help in this situation.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysmithwilson View Post
pictures would def help in this situation.

I think you have your terms mixed up here as well. The strike plate goes on the jamb not the door.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

but to address the underlying question: you may not be able to use the new handle with the larger plate. There is often nothing behind the door edge that would allow you to use a latch with a larger plate. It could entail cutting a larger hole and welding in a backing plate for the plate. Without seeing it, it is hard to say what you might have to do.

on the jamb; do you need a hole to remain for the deadbolt? If so, you would probably have to weld a filler plate in and drill a new hole.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
amysmithwilson (10-22-2010)
Old 10-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #5

You're right...my strike plate for the door knob fits fine on the wood door jam. But, I need to cut out the area for the new latch bolt.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

there is a good possibility this is going to be a lot of work. When steel jambs are made, they weld a backer that overhangs the opening for the plate to screw to. If you need to cut bigger than that backer, you will have to weld in a new backer piece. Also, cutting just the surface of the door jamb and not cutting the backer is very difficult.

can you post pics? It would help a lot.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #7

I got lucky...there was only a small layer of steel on the front and back of the door, as well as the sides. I used a dremel tool to cut out the steel and then was able to cut into the wood! TGIF!