Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Replacing a chandelier with a recessed light.

There is a chandelier in the main entrance and for my first "task" when we get to the house I want to replace it with a recessed light. This will let me know how hard it is before I tackle the other rooms and it will get rid of the ugly chandelier(we're not fans of them). The space above is an open attic with insulation so I know I have an IC light and the hole looks like it would fit a six inch can without much work which is great too. I haven't checked the electrical since we haven't moved in but I'm guessing it's fine. My one major question is what kind of shroud and light should I get that will provide the same amount of lighting as the chandelier does? Will one can cut it or will I have to have more than one?

Also, am I missing anything, this seems like a pretty simple project.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing a chandelier with a recessed light.-cimg1475.jpg  

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Number of cans will be determined by the size of your table. One will not do. At least two, four small ones will be much better. You will need to patch the hole where this light is now.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Number of cans will be determined by the size of your table. One will not do. At least two, four small ones will be much better. You will need to patch the hole where this light is now.
This is over stairs not a table. The door is the front door, it's a split level where the right stairs go down and the left go up to where the picture was taken.
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Oh.. maybe one commercial light with a larger spread and lamp size. But you still need to patch, since this box is most likely nailed against a joist.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #5

You will need several recessed lights to give you the same lighting as a chandelier. How many will depend on the size of the area you're lighting.
The boxes in the ceiling now for the lights that are there will probably be 4" boxes.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote