Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing Bathroom Fan

I would like to replace my noisy bathroom fan with a panasonic or equivalent.
It's a first floor bathroom and I don't have access from above and it looks like the panasonic needs two joists to mount the cross piece to.
My current fan is mounted to one joist so its just supported on one side.

Can anybody recommend a good replacement fan if the panny won't install from below without removing too much of the ceiling.

http://www.ntsupply.com/files/produc...VQ5Install.pdf

RalphPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
DIY Hack

Replacing Bathroom Fan

Which fan do you have now? They sell a retrofit kit for the basic NuTone fan for under $30. It takes 10 minutes to install into the existing housing and i think it fits others too. will cut the noise level down by up to 50%

I recently put in this Harbor Breeze fan in our second story bathroom ( attic access) Very quiet and moves a lot more air than our old fan. The wife loves it. I think you could put it in from below fairly easily

Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #3

Replacing Bathroom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphPeters View Post
I would like to replace my noisy bathroom fan with a panasonic or equivalent.
It's a first floor bathroom and I don't have access from above and it looks like the panasonic needs two joists to mount the cross piece to.
My current fan is mounted to one joist so its just supported on one side.

Can anybody recommend a good replacement fan if the panny won't install from below without removing too much of the ceiling.

http://www.ntsupply.com/files/produc...VQ5Install.pdf
With the old fan out, there's plenty of room to add blocking between the joists and screw the new housing to the blocking.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

Replacing Bathroom Fan

You may have to open up the ceiling to gaing the access you need. Then replace the missing drywall, tape and finish.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #5

Replacing Bathroom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
With the old fan out, there's plenty of room to add blocking between the joists and screw the new housing to the blocking.
Ron

The fan that's there now is an Air King, not sure of the model number. it sits in a housing about 7" x 7" x 5" deep.
I think I can add blocking like Ron said after I pull the old housing out and open up the hole for the larger fan.
The original fan uses a 3" vent so I would need to use an adapter to bring it up to 4 inches.
RalphPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #6

Replacing Bathroom Fan

Every bathroom needs a working exhaust fan. It is an important part of bathroom design. It's really not so difficult; the fan comes out after you unscrew the casing holding it up. Disconnect the wiring, attach the new one and replace in the existing hole in the ceiling. Thanks for sharing.

Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote