Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing all the windows in a new house.

I unfortunately have to put all new windows in our seven year old house, this is due to defective windows. We have vinyl siding so in order to replace window the siding will have to be pulled off. Or is there a way I can cut the siding with enough room to properly install the new window and then trim the window and maybe enhance the look of the house. Iím looking for any ideas or products that would be helpful even pictures of someone else may have done. Please help, thanks

Schrauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #2

I must have stumped all of you veteran home repair gurus with this one, but there must be someone out there that has gone through this ugly stinking rotten unfortunate repair dilemma at one time? Iím really hoping for some input or ideas on this one. Thanks.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Not stumped but waiting for the rest of the story. If this is a "new" house what about the HOW? Where is the builder? I trust you have spoken to your lawyer? IF those windows are really bad then I sure as Hell would not trust anything done on that house. How about the flashing on the windows, the house wrap etc etc. If I were in your shoes and at this point I would strip the whole house back to the sheathing, verify that was done right and then redo the entire exterior. I also would be hunting those responsible for gross negligence and impairing my families safety.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Newbie Bill

I'm no expert, but I believe you can get replacement windows that can be installed with minimal impact to your siding.

However, skymaster brings up some very good points about the house rap and especially the flashing. If the flashing is wrong or non-existent, then you will continue to have problems down the road.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

What do you mean when you say defective windows?
Out of square, leaks, seals gone, rot ?
That will indicate course of action
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #6

Yup, definitely need more info to be able to give you anything better than a guess.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #7

OkÖ.Iím sorry I didnít expand on the subject moreÖ.I guess Iíve told the story so many times the details have been left out. First when I say new (still new to me) it was built in 2002. When the house was built I was on site and actually partook in the building process as general contractor and helper. The windows were installed correctly leveled, squared, wrapped and everything else that should be done (the builder is very competent). The windows are Marvin Integrity and they were bad from the start, weather stripping replaced by Marvin 2X then the paint started to peel. We then received new sashes to replace the ones that the paint was peeling on (all sashes). Then a couple of years ago the paint started to peel again, Marvin sent a paint crew to repaint. That was awful finger prints, overspray just looked bad, mind you Iím not sitting back and ignoring all this itís been a battle. Last year I got another inspector from Marvin to come down and he agreed with me that the quality of the paint was unacceptable. So now I have all new windows with a little bit of money to help cover the cost of new window installation.
So this brings me to my original postÖ.trying to figure out a feasible way to install the windows. Should I take the vinyl siding off and just start over again. Or is there a way to cut the siding back enough to get the old window out and wrap the new window correctly trim the window to make it look astatically pleasing. This is a very condensed version of how this all took place so I hope it makes more sense. I know Iím new to the site and I hope I didnít come off the wrong way. This has been a pain in my neck and several other places since building the house. Thanks again for any help.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
Newbie Bill

Got any photos?

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #9

I think to properly flash & seal the windows you would need to remove some of the siding
This all depends upon the siding pieces & what you can/will need to take off.
In some cases you can peel off one smaller side & then slide window in
Very hard to say as it seems like you have quite a few windows

When I replaced my 3 front windows I took off all the vinyl siding around the windows. Then re-installed
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #10

Cut back the vinyl for the new trim thickness all around, install metal head-flashing (top under the house wrap), remove old window. Before window install, reseal the sill with 6" sticky over the h.wrap, install window on caulking all around under flange, seal side jambs with sticky,seal head with sticky, install wood trim. http://www.bostoncedar.com/pdfs/Typa...stallation.pdf I prefer flashing the window head and the trim head.

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #11

Thanks for the replies, should be a fun adventure.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #12

Vinyl siding is relatively easy to remove if it was installed properly. All you need is an unzipping tool, a thin pry bar to remove the nails, a black marker to label the pieces, and a roll of vapor barrier tape (tyvek/tuck/etc). Start with the piece above the top of the window; use the unzipping tool to unhook the piece, then slip the pry bar in and remove the nails holding the piece in place. Once all the nails are removed, unhook that piece from the one below it, then mark on the back of the piece and on the wall so you can put matching pieces back where they belong. Cut small pieces of vapor barrier tape to cover the nail holes. Work your way down to the piece below the window, where you might need the unzipping tool again if the builder used an undersill trim at the bottom of the window. Remove one last piece below that, as well as any J trim that went around the window, then you'll be able to properly flash and install a new window. After the windows are installed, reinstall the siding piece by piece from the bottom up. After the last piece is nailed in, use the unzipping tool to pull the siding down and snap it back in.
Mthrboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #13
contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrboard View Post
Vinyl siding is relatively easy to remove if it was installed properly. All you need is an unzipping tool, a thin pry bar to remove the nails, a black marker to label the pieces, and a roll of vapor barrier tape (tyvek/tuck/etc). Start with the piece above the top of the window; use the unzipping tool to unhook the piece, then slip the pry bar in and remove the nails holding the piece in place. Once all the nails are removed, unhook that piece from the one below it, then mark on the back of the piece and on the wall so you can put matching pieces back where they belong. Cut small pieces of vapor barrier tape to cover the nail holes. Work your way down to the piece below the window, where you might need the unzipping tool again if the builder used an undersill trim at the bottom of the window. Remove one last piece below that, as well as any J trim that went around the window, then you'll be able to properly flash and install a new window. After the windows are installed, reinstall the siding piece by piece from the bottom up. After the last piece is nailed in, use the unzipping tool to pull the siding down and snap it back in.
Sounds like a winner to me
Meetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
Custom Cabinet Maker

The only thing I would add to mthrbrd is not only mark an id on each pc also mark a line along the top edges of each pc, this way you will line up when u have to Zip the last pc back over the top of the last pc. You do NOT want to stretch vinyl but actually HANG the siding
Just another note if you do not already know this: DO NOT NAIL THE SIDING TIGHT!!! You want to nail in the center of the nail slots just snug enuf to hold but loose enuf for it to expand and shrink with temps.

Last edited by skymaster; 08-15-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: nudder thought
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #15

Thanks again, sounds doable.