Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Wag

Share |

Replacement wood for wrap-around porch

Howdy y'all!

A few years ago I bought an old two-story farmhouse (circa 1860's). It has a wrap-around porch (upstairs and downstairs) that needs the flooring to be replaced (The sub-structure and framing is sound and intact). I was told that the porch (or parts of it) were replaced about 10 years ago. The wood on it now appears to be pine. It was poorly installed and maintained and is in bad shape.

I plan on tackling the first floor porch this spring and need advice as to what wood to use. The porch is 8ft wide and it's total length is approximatley 80ft. I have been told cypress is an ideal wood for porches, but have no idea of the cost. Also, I'd like to avoid any non-wood products. I'm trying to keep the house as historicaly correct as possible even at the cost of more maintainence. I'd like to keep this under $5K. I will do doing the work myself.

As this will be my first ever porch project, any advice and suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks for your time!

Wag

Wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #2

cypress, redwood or cedar sound good to me

or
http://www.windsormill.com/catalog/p...ame=WindsorOne

or
http://www.bodyguardwood.com/

or
http://www.miratectrim.com/

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Not so new

Tongue and groove vertical grain doug fir as well as Toms suggestions.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

You have not told us your location, but Douglass Fir in the North and Cypress in the South would be appropriate.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
You have not told us your location, but Douglass Fir in the North and Cypress in the South would be appropriate.

See, this is why I'm going to need a lot of help on this project, my old brain doesn't fire on all 8 cylinders.

I live in central Georgia. I did a little research for some local mills that sell cypress. I hope to get a ballpark estimate on what it will cost.

I also read were Ipe is popular for covered porches, but it looks expensive!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #6

oh your talking about the deck,sorry i thought you meant the trim
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Not so new

I was wondering where you were going. But I had yur back anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to 12penny For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Not so new

Back to the op, Ipe is extremely dense. Will outlast the rest of the porch with little to no maintenance, although it looks great if sealed. Requires wax on all fresh crosscuts. Here, its about the same price as high end vinyl decking.

Never worked with cypress, but I'd like to.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Wag

A picture is worth a thousand words....here's two thousand.

This is what I'm up against.

After I get the flooring replaced I would like to put matching railing around the first floor. The previous owners removed it and decided not to replace it.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #10

IPE would last longer then you every will, never need sealing, bugs can not eat it because it's to hard. But it will weather to a light purple color. Looks nose but not exacly historicly correct.
And yes it's very expencive.
You also have to predrill every hole where a fastner goes. It so hard you would have a hard time even trying to set a finish nail in it. (and no I'm not suggesting using finish nails to install a deck. It's just an example)
Any time I work on an old porch I check to make sure the floor joist are sloped away from the house and pull strings to also check for level. If there off you can sister some pressure treated 2X's to the old ones. If there off there may be low spots and the decking will look wavy.
The wood should be treated on all sides before it gets installed. That will help prevent cupping.
Before you discount using a composit go look at some. DO not go to Lowes or HD, any real siding supply company should have at least some samples.
They make 5/4 X 2-1/4 T & G decking that PVC coated to stop mold growth with a wood grain on the face that looks just like real wood once you have applyed some form of deck paint on it.
Install it once and never have to do anything but hose it off from then on.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any time I work on an old porch I check to make sure the floor joist are sloped away from the house and pull strings to also check for level. If there off you can sister some pressure treated 2X's to the old ones. If there off there may be low spots and the decking will look wavy.
I am very sure the porch slopes away from the house. The incline is quite pronounced. As for level, I have found that as old as this house is and the method of construction of the day, there is NOTHING in this house that is square or level.

The only real issue I can see coming (aside fom the type wood I need to use) is adding some support to the lower columns. The lame contractors that installed them placed them on top of the flooring and not the supporting foundation underneath. Now that the flooring is going south, the columns are starting to sag. This is why I will be doing the work myself. I don't trust contractors!

I would like to replace the round columns and put square ones back in while I have the house jacked up, but am not sure if I can swing it financially at this time. Not unless I can find a way to make them myself.

Last edited by Wag; 02-29-2012 at 07:17 PM.