Replacement Window Installation - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Replacement Window Installation

I have just purchased a Single Hung Aluminum Window - Series 375IG TILT - from Home Depot, specially cut to size to use as a replacement window once the fins are removed.
My question is whereabouts in the sides of the unit do I attach the window to the rough opening of the house? The obvious placement would be the channel where the bottom sash is raised and lowered, but the sash is flush with the channel and would catch on the screwheads.
Please advise, thank-you.

Advertisement

winterland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

I can find no info on your Series 375IG TILT - from Home Depot.

The side and top (not the bottom) channel is where you would place the screws.

Maybe a pancake (not pan head) screw would work.

http://www.levisnailsandscrews.com/s...ead-screws.php

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
winterland (09-12-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterland View Post
I have just purchased a Single Hung Aluminum Window - Series 375IG TILT - from Home Depot, specially cut to size to use as a replacement window once the fins are removed.
My question is whereabouts in the sides of the unit do I attach the window to the rough opening of the house? The obvious placement would be the channel where the bottom sash is raised and lowered, but the sash is flush with the channel and would catch on the screwheads.
Please advise, thank-you.
I haven't seen an aluminum window in years. Replacement windows don't generally convert to new construction windows. Something doesn't make sense.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

talk to the people at home depot. maybe ask 2 of them. I've got disaterous advice from them in the past.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
talk to the people at home depot. maybe ask 2 of them. I've got disaterous advice from them in the past.
You lost me on this.
Ron
Old 09-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I haven't seen an aluminum window in years. Replacement windows don't generally convert to new construction windows. Something doesn't make sense.
Ron
You can have any "replacement" window ordered with the fins added, essentially making it a "new construction" window. One reason for doing this is that many models of new construction windows come with generic exterior trim as part of the window unit.

That said, I agree that something does not make sense. There would be no reason to order a custom size "new construction" window, and the remove the fins to use it as a "replacement", whether or not it has exterior trim. All you need to do is order the window as a replacement to begin with, and it will come without the fins. Also, a new construction window will not come with the spacer at the top...
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You lost me on this.
Ron
Home depot sold you the windows, they should be able to tell you how to install them. But they also have a history with me of giving out very bad and expensive advice: "that is a permanent plumbing repair, stronger than new" and "add this to the cement and you can put the new tile right over the old tile"

so you might want a second opinion on whatever they tell you.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
Home depot sold you the windows, they should be able to tell you how to install them. But they also have a history with me of giving out very bad and expensive advice: "that is a permanent plumbing repair, stronger than new" and "add this to the cement and you can put the new tile right over the old tile"

so you might want a second opinion on whatever they tell you.
The place to go for advice would be the manufacturer.
Ron
Old 09-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 14

These windows are H-R Windows Series 375 IG Tilt made by Atrium in Dallas. I wanted an aluminum replacement window - Home Depot suggested these would work, just remove the fins. Their standard sizes would not work, so they offered a "Cut To Size Upcharge" of $29.39 (Total $146.93 for a 31 1/2 X 43 1/2)

I decided I would remove the fins myself and save an extra fifteen bucks. But now I cannot see where I am supposed to attach the window to the opening without the screw heads catching on the sash guides in the channel.

Have emailed the manufacturer and Home Depot & await a reply. Thanks guys.
winterland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #10

drill your holes at the top of the inside track[there may be a removable stop you can drill under],screw thru the outside track about 3'' up from the bottom
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

In agreement with tomstrouble. When all else fails use common sense. also - If and when you set this window, apply a "high quality" adhesive sealant to the blind stops' top and sides. sill may have an angle that is anchored to your existing sill to accomodate any difference in pitch of sills. This too should (if used) be sealed very well when anchored.
Note - be careful that any anchors placed at the top are not going to disrupt the balances which help in opening the window. Don't know if yours are spring or spiral but keep an eye on them if you're drilling and anchoring the jambs near the top.

Advertisement

Last edited by jackofmany; 09-13-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: clarification
jackofmany is offline   Reply With Quote