Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #1

Share |
Question

replacement basement window - how to measure?

I got two quotes on having 3 basement windows replaced.
The quotes are VERY different

What I have right now is single pane crap aluminum frame with a screen with plastic shrink wrap over it - and i'm getting too much condensation, causing a puddle - then ice in my window box frame

the window - or glass measures about 31.5"x12.5"

i'm sure that whatever in there was something standard for the time it was built, everything seems to have been done 1/2-heartedly so I can't imagine special order dimensions.

i need to get outside and measure as well - but i need to know what these companies are basing their measuring on - they have only measured from the inside as well

qchawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Standard off the shelf basement windows are 32" w and vary in height, starting at 13"h and going up to, 15, 17, 19, 21. Yours seem to be 32" x 13" from the dimensions you gave.
The big difference between your current windows and the replacement windows will probably be the depth. The new windows will be 3" thick.
Are your windows set in a sloped concrete frame or in rectangular frame the thickness of the foundation?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #3

Qc,
Most of the basement windows were sized to conincide with 8"h x 16"w concrete block. In your case if you have a block basement, two blocks wide by two blocks high. Measure the distance inside to inside of the block. For height measure from the top of the block to the bottom of the opening, (which should be the top of a block two rows down).
You can get the solid vinyl basement windows with thermopane glass at most home centers. For you case they should measure 31 1/2"w x 13-14" h. You can fasten them through the top of the unit with the sash out to the bottom of your mud sill using galvanized screws. Insulate the sides and under the bottom then mix up some mortar and fill in the sides inside and out. If the gap on the sides is 1/4" or less, caulk instead with a good grade caulk. The bottom should be done with a sloped mudwash inside and out.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #4

well, here's what happened
we're in the middle of remodeling the basement and the 3 windows i want to replace are in the finished section and back in the fall when it was nice i took the 3, cleaned them up and rebuilt the frame
was just a slope cement - now it's flush frame, painted and looking nice, but they are single pane and i have plastic film on them and water is condensing and then pooling to ice in my new frame - had water running down my new drywall below and that really burned me, so now i want to have them done
i'm sure i can do it but i don't want to mess with it with this weather would rather have them done fast but i want new ones that qualify
Attached Thumbnails
replacement basement window - how to measure?-windowdiy.jpg   replacement basement window - how to measure?-windowdiy2.jpg  
Old 01-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #5

Measure the rough opening you have. If it coinsides with a standard window, you're good. If not, you can either modify the opening or order a size to fit. In your case, I would order one to fit as the opening is small enough already.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #6

just braved the rain/ice and measured from the outside, it's a 32x14 1/2 at least - so could be 15.
going to get a pella slider through lowes that qualifies for 30% rebate and install of $99/window

much cheaper than the other quotes and don't have to deal with the companies bashing each other
Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #7

Have heard some horror stories about the guys lowes and home depot gives their work to. Have heard a couple of good stories but a ton more bad, hopefully yours is one of the good. Tell lowes you want to know who is installing your windows and ask for references from them.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Home Performance

I don't like to bash particular companies, but in general the big box stores use low quality subs because they don't pay very well. This isn't 100% of the time, you could get lucky, but I think you'd have much better results from a well respected local company.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #9

Turn of events, decided this is NOT in the budget as the $3k furnace busted the roof on that

i want a hopper window in 32x15" installed sooner than later but i don't want to have it done half-crap either and i really don't trust the big box chains either BUT i can't trust the local window companies either because of the difference in their quotes and how they seem so shady if it wasn't below freezing right now i'd do it myself right now
seems like spring will be the time unless i find a better approach
Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
Home Performance

Ask friends, family, or neighbors if they've dealt with anybody. Check NARI,BBB, or Angi's list... You'll find somebody trustworthy.