Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replace old windows in cinderblock house

I have a old house build out of cinderblock. In the 60's vinyl siding was added ( in not the prettiest way)
To replace the old wood windows do I have to also replace the siding since it's overlapping the framing of the old windows or can the siding be cut to accomidate the new windows?
Please advice me on this. I'm able to afford windows but I can't efford to reside the whole house.

Thanks Camar and Happy Holidays...

camar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Replace old windows in cinderblock house

It sounds like your situation could get quite involved. I would get some quotes from window companies that do the whole job. Get more then one quote and don't just pick the cheapest. Make sure the they are including finish work inside and out. Ask about how much they may expect a quote to vary. And if there are any similar completed jobs that you might be able to see.
A Cinderblock construction will most likely require many custom sizes and you want them to be responsible for measuring and stuff. So when they install they can't blame your measurements! Other wise you may be buying window that won't fit.