Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Share |

Repeat showing of Undercover Boss with DirecTV CEO

Watching Undercover Boss last night, due to nothing else on, caught the episode from 2010, with DirecTV's CEO on it.

One call, the customer stated that when they touched the power cord on the HD DVR, which was right above their ankle biter's bed, they would get shocked.

I do not know if it was poor editing, or the call actually ran in this order. Customer states they have no picture, getting shocked when touching the power cord, which was probably chewed on by Fido, due to where they had the unit sitting.

The Tech & CEO turn on the tv, show no picture, so tech decides that the problem is up at the dish. Signals good, goes back to the box, still no signal, so calls other techs, to see if they have another "good" box.

I am sorry, but if a customer is stating that they are getting shocked when touching a power cord, but still have the appliance plugged in, I would do everything I could, to keep from slapping them upside their head and asking them if they love risking their home or family for a possible fire to happen, because they failed to unplug faulty equipment.

First thing I feel the tech should have done, and Undercover Boss should have shown, was the tech unplugging the faulty box and showing on camera, the hazards of what can happen with damaged electrical cords/appliances.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #2

I liked the part where they sat on the phone with customer service forever. I spent half my time on the phone with some Indians....

big juicy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big juicy01 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I am sorry, but if a customer is stating that they are getting shocked when touching a power cord,
I saw that show.. could be wrong but I didn't take it all that seriously.
I would (and did) attribute the "shocking" to static electricity. A cracked (or chewed) cord can be seen by any dummy so they're more likely to say
"I'm getting shocked from the crack in the cord"

Not to mention that fido would have most likely needed a bit of medical attention (we had a cat chew on a cord and it burned the inside of her mouth).

But you're right, they should have been told to unplug the appliance until it has been investigated.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #4

More than likely a box back feeding the system.
big juicy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by big juicy01 View Post
More than likely a box back feeding the system.
Sometimes the Power Inserter can be culprit, but first place you start looking, is from the box working backwards.

Regardless of the appliance, always work from the appliance back to the panel, when it is an electrical issue.

I have found these shows to just be really bad, when showing what the real world is, in the industries that they are trying to paint a pretty picture about.

The best one, was when they covered Roto-Rooter.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I have found these shows to just be really bad, when showing what the real world is, in the industries that they are trying to paint a pretty picture about.
Most of the DIY shows as well.... very little discussion about safety, permit, inspection process, scheduling, etc.
IMO- Not the real world

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-03-2014)